Those three words

This chapter was written by @AlSRLV

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️ there is mention of gun violence and child abuse in this chapter.

Derek's POV.

Meredith has been acting weird since we talked. I know that it had to have been hard for her to open up about it all, but I just wish I could do something. I hate seeing her in pain.

I've decided to take her out today, try to distract her a bit. To be honest, I could use some distraction as well. It isn't exactly easy to learn that your girlfriend's childhood was full of beatings and degradement, while yours was primarily filled with love and care.

I'm not saying my childhood was perfect, but it certainly was a lot brighter than the hell she described to me. It had to have been horrible, being treated like that. It disgusts me to no end how someone could hurt her in any way, any child, for that matter. She must've been scared, all the time. I hope I've never made her feel threatened?

Just as I'm about to dig deeper into that thought, the door opens and I take in the beauty in front of me. Meredith. She looks gorgeous in anything, but I can tell she dressed up today. She's wearing an indigo colored dress that stops just above her knees and hugs every curve on her small form. My favorite color.

"I got you these." I beam, handing her the small bouquet of lavender I picked up from the side of the road. There was a big bush of them and I thought she might like them. She did say they were her favorite flower.

"I love them." She smiles, giving me a passionate hug, almost as if she's scared to let go. When we finally part, I close the door to her house and we head to my car. I want this day to be special, so I've decided we're going on a hike.

Not just any hike, but a vulnerable hike. I don't want her to feel like she's the only one with a big bad secret let loose. I want her to feel safe with me. I know it will take time and effort; trust is earned, not given.

No matter how long it takes. I'd do anything for Meredith, even if she wouldn't do the same.

•••

We've parked about a quarter mile from the site. I would be lying if I said I'm not nervous. This is a huge deal for me. I've never opened up about this to anyone before, including Mark.

"Are you okay?" Meredith grips my forearm, turning me to face her, evidently, stopping our hike.

"I'm great." I send her a warm smile and turn back to continue our walk.

"No. You aren't. Is this about what I told you? Are you...disgusted...by me?" She shifts uncomfortably, her voice cracking a bit at the end. My stomach lurches. I had made her feel like she did something wrong. I had made her feel like she should be ashamed. She has nothing to be perpetrated for, now her father, oh how I would like a word with him...

"No! No, of course not. Meredith, you did nothing wrong, okay? I could never be disgusted by you." I pull her forward, wrapping her tightly in my hold. She reciprocates immediately, folding her arms around my neck. I feel a few tears soak through my shirt, but no noise. She's trying so hard to stay strong, and I hate myself for it.

"I'm sorry." She croaks out, her voice hoarse. Somehow, my stomach feels worse. She shouldn't be sorry.

"For what?" I softly ask, hoping she isn't feeling like a bother.

"I've ruined our date." She hiccups, releasing from the hold and wiping her face with her hands. Lucky for her, she hadn't been wearing makeup, so her face is still intact.