Bri

"Thank you, miss." The elderly man smiles up at me. His face is full of wrinkles and his clothes are torn. I'm sure he's been through a lot and the thought makes me feel sad.

But I give him my biggest smile, "You're welcome, sir" I turn around and walk away to get another tray.

I'm doing what I've always been good at.

Serving.

I've always helped people. That's my strongest attribute, I believe. Since I was young, I've always had to depend on myself. There was always someone around, but not anyone who cared for me or who wanted to help me.

Nothing has really changed except for the few good people in my life now.

Quality over quantity.

I know what it feels like to be brushed aside. The last kid that no one wanted to pick but had to. The least favorite in the friend group or at least I'm sure I would've been, if I had a group of friends.

I didn't like that feeling then and I still don't.

That's why I'll always help anyone that needs it, because I know what it's like to not have help. To not have anyone care about your wellbeing.

To not care if you lived or died.

Last week, when I decided to walk a different way to work to avoid passing Roil enterprises, I came across this building tucked a little ways away from the main road. It could be missed if one was in a hurry or not in need of what it offered.

It's a place Charles frequented often, I found out.

Until he met me and Richard.

A bowl a day

I walked by thinking it was a restaurant and to an extent it is.

It's a soup kitchen.

I volunteered the second day I walked by. When I went inside, my heart dropped. There were so many people in line. Men, woman, and children of all ages. There were even a few infants.

My heart shattered at the sight.

When I talked to the woman in charge of the place, she told me they were in desperate need of volunteers. She said not only to serve, but to donate and cook. They were running low on supplies and funds.

I'm low on supplies and funds myself.

But still, I went home and got down my old jar that I kept on top of my fridge.

I have some money saved in the bank that I can't touch.

It's for college.

I was approved for some financial aid but it's not enough and I can't afford student loans.

That's the only reason I'm emptying this jar and not my bank account.

I opened the jar and poured everything out onto the counter. It's grocery and toiletry money. It's not for anything major so I can spare it to help. After counting down to the last penny the total added up to one hundred and forty two dollars and eleven cents.

I worked at the diner all week and the days I didn't have any other odd jobs, I would walk straight to the soup kitchen and help serve or whatever they needed me to do.

That's how I ended up where I am right now. A bowl a day is packed and I'm trying to get food out quickly. It's a small place and the room is filled to the brim with tables and chairs. I wouldn't be surprised if we're violating a few fire ordinances.