Chapter 8: A Country Ball

Comenzar desde el principio

"Very well." She suddenly wished she had begged off with a headache. "Shall we go then?"

"After you, ladies." He bowed mockingly, his eyes never leaving her.

The carriage ride to Squire Burton's country house would have been pure torture had Olivia not been along to fill the extended silences and punctuate the glares. Once they arrived at the ball, Jacob left them to speak with some men, and Jessica was relieved to see him go. For being a country affair in July, there were quite a few people in attendance, and the ball promised to be a good one. Remembering her resolve to have a good time, she smiled at her young companion as she ushered her towards the other young ladies in the room.

"Lady Jessica!" Squire Burton made his way through the throng of guests towards her, and she stopped. The squire was a rotund man with a fondness for drink, but also a very pleasant fellow whom she'd always liked. He had harboured hopes of her marrying his son, only two years her senior, but fortunately, Peter had married the year before.

"I didn't realise you would join us tonight," the squire said as he reached her side and took her hand for a dutiful kiss. "Not that I'm not delighted of course."

"I'm escorting the Duke of Ashbrook's niece," she explained. "I am ever grateful for an invitation to your balls, though. They always provide a wonderful distraction."

"You are too kind," the squire said, but he was beaming from the compliment. "Oh, there is someone here to whom I'd like to introduce you." He waved his hand, and for a moment she feared he would try to introduce her to Jacob, but then a young man came up to them.

Quite a handsome man with a square jaw and high cheekbones. Dressed in a dark grey coat and breeches, he cut a dashing sight with his wide shoulders and tall form. Dark hair that looked as if it wouldn't quite be tamed by a comb gave him something of a boyish look, and his eyes were a warm brown.

"Ravenscroft, please let me introduce Lady Jessica Howerty. She is the sister of the Marquess of Pensington," the squire said with a meaningful wink. "Lady Jessica, this is Viscount Ravenscroft, my nephew."

She had to suppress a grin. The dear man was still trying to marry her into the family. After the introduction, Squire Burton quickly excused himself and hurried off to some other guests.

"Please excuse my uncle," Lord Ravenscroft said with a smile. "I fear subtlety was never his strong suit."

She laughed. "There is no harm done. He means well, and I do not mind when he introduces me. It is always a pleasure to meet a family member of Sir William's."

"I'm glad to make your acquaintance. My uncle has spoken leagues about you, and I must admit that it piqued my curiosity."

"And does the reality live up to your expectations?" she teased.

He smiled. "At the present time, I am inclined to say that reality far exceeds the expectations." The first notes of a quadrille floated out over the room and he held his hand out to her. "May I have this dance?"

"Certainly." She returned his smile.

This was someone she might genuinely learn to like. Perhaps fate agreed that it was time to give up her childish hopes and dreams of Jacob. It wasn't the first time she'd made this resolution, but after the recent events, she felt even more determined to get past her infatuation with him. The sooner she did, the better. If she found someone else and got married, surely she would stop thinking of him. And the kiss. She desperately needed to stop thinking about that kiss.

 She desperately needed to stop thinking about that kiss