TIDE | 17

C H A P T E R   S E V E N T E E Nthe question

the question

cranking:
when the waves are said to be good.

It was quiet as Dawson and I were driving through the town of Chancier Cove. The sun was setting behind the shops as the street lights provided a slight glow amongst the narrow streets.

"Do you have to head home right away?" Dawson asks as he turned the radio down until it was a slight hum in the background.

"Nope, not that I know of." I respond. I knew that my mother would more than likely be spending another night at the office without letting me know.

He nods before maneuvering his truck into a winding driveway of a house perched on the corner of a large street.

The average sized white house stood out against the rest of the normal beige ones among it. Large open windows cover all sides of the house and a large balcony extended out of the second floor. Brightly coloured red and pink flowers lined the driveway and the sidewalk

He twists the keys and shuts the truck off before stepping outside into the cool night air. I open my door and quickly follow him up the path to the front door.

"I'm hoping that my mother isn't home from work yet." He says placing a key into the large wooden door. "If she is home, I apologize for the millions of questions she's going to ask you".

He pauses for a moment and turns to face me like there is something more that he wanted to say. We were then interrupted by the sound of footsteps coming from inside of the house.

The door then suddenly opens reveal a young blonde girl standing in the middle of the doorway. "Dawsy." She says running towards him as she wraps her smaller arms around his legs.

"Avery." He says bending down to her level. "What did mom and dad say about opening the door to strangers?"

"They told me not to." She says shyly hiding behind him. "But I saw your truck and you're no stranger, so I let you in."

He laughs before rubbing his hand against her hair, messing it slightly. She pats it back down before turning and looking at me.

I stand there awkwardly and give her a small wave. "Hi I'm Ainsley, nice to meet you."

"You're pretty." She says in between giggles. "No wonder why Dawson can't stop talking about you."

I feel my cheeks getting warm at her comment. "Thank you, but you know. I think you're prettier." I respond as a huge smile makes its way onto her face.