XXIII

In the week since returning back to the mansion with Jo in hand, much had changed but so much stayed the same. 

Louis took to sleeping with Jo again but this time in Joanne's brand-new room. Louis had coaxed a theme out of his daughter and within two days the ocean themed room was made. 

How many years had she gone with just bare bones Christmases and birthdays? She had learned not to ask for too much and it felt strange to do so now. 

But nonetheless, the walls were turned into a spectrum of blues, the decorations classy but still fun, and even a cozy clam shaped bed sat in the corner. The twins seemed to find a foot hole anyplace they could, offering to paint or build, even though they ended up paying a professional to do so, Jo seemed to think it was nice. Giggling when Edward struggled to remember Moana's name, "Mona? Meena?" 

The omega, though, tiptoed around their glances and softly put words, not sure how much freedom he really had here. Harry chanced a brush of hands here and there, or small soft words asking where Louis was sleeping. The omega would shrug it off, hiding away in different parts of their oversized mansion like some ghost of who he had been.

 Louis found himself folding some of the newly purchased clothes Edward had bought for their daughter, when Jo shyly approached him, "Mumma?"

"Yes, sweet pea?" Louis smiled encouragingly.

"Can Lou and I have a sleepover tonight?" Jo bit her lip and looked to her mother with wide eyes.

"A sleep over?" Louis asked in confusion, "Like you sleep in her room?"

"Yeah except I want her to sleep here!" Jo nodded excitedly and Louis understood. Jo didn't have many things until just this week, and she wanted to share them with her new best friend.

"Did Lou ask her mother?" Louis questioned softly.

"Yeah, Uncle Ni said it was ok!"

"Ok then I think that's a great idea."

"OK! I'm gonna go tell Lou!" Jo turned quickly but paused near the closet door, "Mumma where are you gonna sleep tonight?"

Louis smiled sadly, "I'll sleep in my own room."

"You have a room?" Jo asked, "Can I see it?"

"Well." Louis lied, because he didn't have a room. He'd been sleeping in Harry's until they went and got Jo, but he didn't want to be forced to stay there anymore, "It's not done yet but when it is I'll show you."

"Ok." Jo nodded easily, running back and planting a kiss on Louis' cheek, before taking off again.

Which is how Louis ended up pacing in front of Harry's door for a few minutes working up the courage and finding the words to say before bursting through the door and declaring, "I'm not a prisoner anymore."

Louis paused after his declaration, only now taking in the fact that both the twins sat on king sized bed, heads leaned in close. The omega realized that he probably just interrupted a pretty intense conversation. But the twins just eyed him, "I'm not a prisoner here anymore. I came here willingly with my daughter, our daughter—"

"No, you're not a prisoner." Harry smiled sadly, "I haven't been fair keeping you trapped here."

"Ok." Louis nodded, that was easier than he thought it would be.

"What can I do to make you feel like you're not a prisoner?" Harry questioned, Edward remained quiet but interested, "Do you want to work? Or take up a hobby? Exercise classes? Once Jo is back in school."

Louis paused and licked his lips thinking over the question, "I want my own room."

Harry looked to Edward and sighed a little sad before nodding, "Certainly. I'd say you could take your room from before but that's in Niall's wing of the house now. Maybe you could take the one between mine and Joanne's?"