26.

Tracking the Wolf

Issei

"HAVE you ever met a werewolf outside of Storm and her friends?" Nightshade asked as we walked next to Storm's apartment.

"I've met a bunch of them, not awfully close to them, but I've met some. They aren't the most pleasant company to keep unless they know how to control themselves." I told her as we came up to a tree with two sets of claw marks.

I shook my head. One set was Storm's. Werewolves tended to mark their territory to ward off other werewolves. On top of having a nasty temper they are incredibly territorial and possessive. Shifters and other supernatural tended to stay away from them unless necessary.

While they were an unbelievably valuable asset and loyal to their death once you made an enemy out of them, they'd take it to the grave. And they hated trespassers which made it hard to get on their good side unless you were a werewolf yourself.

Even then it would be hard to gain their favor. They were overly aggressive. Mom must be desperate to let Jack utilize one. Especially if she was aware of his lineage.

Werewolves are dangerous enough but when you add their bloodlines into play it just goes downhill from there. Valentine happens to be from a dangerous line. I took a deep breath as I set my hand against the tree.

I hadn't used my ability in a few months now. But now we were in a situation where my ability was needed. We knew where he would be going, but he could still be around.

Nightshade stood behind me as I set my hand to the tree and let the memories pulse through me.

The first thing I saw was Storm's large wolf form racking her claws down the tree before leaving. She looked different so I could tell this happened probably before Akiya and Araya even knew they were kitsunes.

The memories came through before finally I saw the form Raiden had described to me. Most werewolves had a slightly different form from each other. Some were large wolves, others were small. And if you watched them closely enough you could see the difference between a werewolf and a wolf.

Most wolves were a bit larger than them as well as their hindlegs happened to be more defined and almost humanlike. But this thing. . . it looked nothing like the werewolves I've seen.

While it walked on all fours at first it transferred to it's hindlegs. This creature wasn't that muscled as well, but skinner. It also lacked fur in certain places, but it clearly had a wolf-like head. The creature moved towards Storm's house before shifting as a brown hair boy took place and went inside the house.

The memories shifted to seeing Schuyler and Storm and then them leaving before Diana appeared. Then came Diana chasing the creature out of the house who took off into the woods.

I let go of the tree and backed up sucking in breath. I felt Nightshade grab my arm when I stepped back. "Are you okay Issei?" Nightshade asked as I turned around and nodded as I steadied myself on her arms.

"He's still out there, he took a different turn than back to the asylum. He ran deeper into the woods from what I can see." I told Nightshade who nodded.

"Do you want to go in there?" Nightshade asked and I shook my head.

"No, it's way too risky going in there. I don't know if he's gone yet or if he's waiting around and if he bites me enough times, he will kill me. So best thing we can do is leave and go inform them that he went in a different direction than the asylum." I told her and Nightshade nodded.

With that we set off again.

***

Storm's mom was scary. Not a lot of people scared me, especially someone younger than me but she had this aura to her. I knew she was a shifter herself, and a dangerous one. A turned one, but still dangerous. Her species were exceptionally low in numbers and were prone to going after murderers or whoever they were set on.