Chapter 2: But I am not a superhero

Start from the beginning

But you thought wrong.

The door bell rang a minute after you had finished with your decision and mad you jump out of bed in a second. You walked slowly and with a small suspicion toward the door wondering who could be visiting you on a Saturday morning. You arrived at the door and placed your hand on the handle hesitating for one second to open. You finally sighed and opened the door but froze at the sight of Tony Stark standing right in front of you smiling. You looked him in the eyes and returned an awkward smile that probably was more creapy than you thought at the moment.

"Hey. Tony Stark." He gave you his hand still smiling and looking into your eyes.

And then it hit you. Tony Stark was standing at your doorstep. And you were in your pajamas! What were you supposed to do? You kept staring at you at the point he probably thought you were crazy and pulled his hand away awkwardly.

"Can I come in? We need to...talk."

"Y-yes. Of course." You moved aside and let him in. He sat on your small sofa in the living room and you managed to excuse yourself for a while to go and change your outfit.

After a couple of minutes, that to you seemed like an hour you were out of your room again and into the living room to find Tony Stark leaning over the kitchen counter where you had still left your burned dinner from last night. You immediately felt so embarrassed.

"Busy night huh?" Tony pointed at the burned sandwich.

"Umm, yeah I had a lot in my mind." You scratched the back of your head nervously trying not to look too freaked out and moved towards him.

"Yes I can imagine. Having had a gun pointed at you just a few hours ago must've put a lot in your mind last night." You looked at him with your eyes wide open, trying very hard not to loose it, you froze.

"W-what?"

"Oh, you didn't see. You're all over the news kid."

You quickly run and turn on your TV. You watch carefully as a video is shown on the news featuring you with your back turned to the camera being pointed a gun at you but still talking calmly to the criminal. You sighed in relief to the fact that you face is not shown throughout the whole video. It seemed like someone had taken a video of the incident but the quality was very poor and the sound almost didn't exist.

No one could prove it was you.

"That's actually not me. I'm sorry." You turned your TV off and turned back to Tony who is looking at you intensely.

"Oh it's not you? Well that's not true and we both know it now."

"Look I don't know who you're looking for but it's not me."

"You never told me your name. I'm-"

"Tony Stark." You cut him immediately. "Everyone knows who you are. I'm y/n."

"Nice to meet you."

A long pause follows Tony's last words and and awkward eye contact between the two of you. He looked oddly calm and over confident while you looked very suspicious.

"So what are your powers exactly." He finally broke the silence and made you snap in his face immediately.

"Hey, I don't know what you think you saw in the video or anything but that is not me and I suggest you leave now."

"Look kid I get it you are scared. You have some really big thing going on here but the Avengers can help you though."

Only the sound of that phrase made your heart pound like crazy. He was right you were scared, but was it truly not wise to just spit out everything. You were planning on never using your powers unless it was absolutely necessary and you were doing pretty good. Only one incident in the last five months. You didn't know what Tony Stark was planning for you and the Avengers? It was just a little too much. You really wanted to trust him though and wanted him to help you but you could never be sure. You decided to look into his head.

He really meant no harm, you just needed to know. You tried not to break eye contact and that made it a little harder for you to concentrate on his thoughts but you managed it eventually. You got into his head and could now see everything, he was ambitious and very trustful but he was so scared also scared, maybe even more scared than you were. His feeling and mood constantly changed but one thing that always remained pined in his mind and that was the attack in New York. At the moment you could only see some imaged; the Avengers, Loki, him flying away with a rocket o his back and then a black whole and darkness starting to surround him. He was really scared but his mind was pure, he really wanted to help you. You also saw a woman, a beautiful blond woman, probably Peper Pots.

This seemed personal so you cut it off.

You didn't see much in his head but it was just enough to make you trust him. You slowly return back to reality and focused on his eyes again, he was still looking at you. By his look you realised that he had really let you into his mind, he knew very well you were going to look but he had nothing to hide. That quite helped his position, you knew you could trust him now. You sighed and broke eye-contact.

"I am not a superhero." You broke the silence and sat on the sofa looking at your hands.

"It's okay. We really can help you." He sat next to you and smiled placing his hand gently on your shoulder.

You talked for a while and explained what your powers were and that you had full control over them but didn't like using them. You told him how you felt that something bad would happen anytime you use them and he seemed very understanding. You also told him some things about you and your life, leaving out all your family drama. Tony seemed non-judgmental which was a big relief. While you talked he never once cut you, he was looking at you and he was really interested in what you were saying. In the end of the conversation you had made up your mind; you were going. Tony explained to you that you would have to give up University which was kind of a bummer but it was a fair trade.

"Ok kid, I'll wait for you in the car." He left and closed the door behind him.

It was so weird how he had manged to persuade you, maybe his thoughts helped quite a lot. You went to your room to get your stuff ready. You didn't have much; just a few hoodies, some leggings and a few jeans. You also got some books you loved to read and a few other stuff that might be useful. You didn't really have many belongings so you were finished quickly. In less that fifteen minutes you were ready and exited the building to find Tony waiting for you inside a big black car ready for you to leave. You looked at the luxurious looking car for a second in amazement but he realised that you leaving with Tony Stark and that was the only obvious ride he would use. You decided that you had stared enough for one day and quickly got into the car.

The ride wasn't long and you and Tony were talking throughout it all of it which made it look even shorter. Tony didn't speak much and neither did his driver, Happy whose face apparently had nothing to do with his name. He looked kind of sad and grumpy and made you feel quite awkward but finally decided to ignore him. You continued talking to Tony and you were really starting to know him, he actually turned out to be a very nice and thoughtful guy and that was only good.