[ e i g h t e e n ]

Start from the beginning

"Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes," interrupted their conversation Ms. Blake, "all tools the writer uses to tell their story."

The teacher stopped walking when she reached Lydia's desk.

"Lydia," she called her, "I wasn't aware you had so many talents."

Amelia looked at the drawing of the tree, recognizing it. It was the tree she had drawn the other day, when they were trying to find Deaton.

"You and every guy I've ever dated," Lydia replied, smiling.

"Well, that was an idiom, by the way." But Lydia just looked back at her tree. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture." Ms Blake looked at Amelia, sitting behind Scott, then Scott and then Stiles, who was sitting next to Scott.

Oh, she meant werewolf secret.

"They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race, or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board'."

"Like chess," said Stiles and Amelia at the same time before they looked at each other.

"That's right, guys. Stiles, do you play?"

"No, my father does. Amelia plays very well, though."

Ms. Blake looked at her. "You do?" The girl nodded.

"We've been playing since sophomore year," informed Scott. "What's the count?"

"314 to 1," informed Amelia. "And that was my weak day..."

"Keep telling yourself that," joked Scott, making Amelia chuckle.

The teacher smiled at the two before walking away, continuing her class.

Scott leaned in towards Stiles. "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."

"What do you want to do that for?" Stiles asked the werewolf.

"The Druids are emissaries, right?" Amelia played with her pencil. "So what if the Darach was an emissary to the Alphas?"

"Okay, first off all, I can't believe Amelia has beaten you up 314 times in chess and you have only one to her." Amelia chuckled. "Second, I cannot believe that we've gotten to the point where a sentence like 'what if the Darach was an emissary to the Alphas' actually makes sense to me. Third, we're gonna have a huge problem getting Ethan."

"What's that?" Amelia asked.

"Going through Aiden," replied Stiles. "Ever since he's been back at school, they're always together. How are we gonna separate them again?"

The three looked at each other, raising their eyebrows before looking towards Lydia.

"What now?"

• • •

While Lydia was making out with one of the inseparable twins, Scott, Stiles and Amelia were interrogating the other one.

"Why are you even talking to me?" Asked Ethan, confused. "I helped kill your friend. How do you know I'm not gonna kill another one?"

"Is he looking at me?" Stiles asked Amelia. "Are you threatening me?" The girl raised her eyebrows. "You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna break off an extra-large branch of Mountain Ash, wrap it in wolfsbane, roll it in mistletoe, and shove it up your freaking—" But Scott interrupted him by placing a hand on his chest, trying to slow him down.

"Stiles, okay. We get it," Scott told him before looking at Ethan. "We're talking to you because I know that you didn't want to kill Boyd. And I think that if something like that happens now, you wouldn't do it again."