(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟑𝟎) empty shells

Start from the beginning

However she needed to see Alice and Frank, that was why she was here. Athena reached the top of the stairs and rounded the corner to find herself in another corridor. There were many doors sitting around but she knew which one she needed. Ward 3.

The door looked the same as all the others but it carried a heavier price to Athena who couldn't quite believe that she was staring at it. She couldn't quite believe that Alice and Frank were behind this door and not at home with Neville like they should be. Like they would have been if those death eaters hadn't found them.

Moving forwards, she placed a hand on the hospital door and pushed it open. Inside was a ward that looked like any other. There were six beds, three on the left and three on the right. Some of these were empty, some had people sitting in them and two were covered over with hospital curtains of pale blue.

Athena wasn't sure how she had known instantly that those beds belonged to Alice and Frank but she did. It became apparent a few moments later as she took in the inhabitants of the other beds. The majority of them just stared at nothing, they didn't register that anyone had just walked in.

As Athena stood stupidly by the door, a healer came walking over. She had strawberry blonde hair pulled into a tight ponytail as she wore robes of white. The woman had a bright smile and green eyes that reminded Athena of Lily.

"Hello, can I help you?"

"I'm here to see Alice and Frank... I'm a um... I'm a good friend"

"I'm afraid that only immediate family members are allowed to visit them" the healer smiled sympathetically. Athena felt her heart drop as she looked up to the two covered beds.

"Please" Athena added, "please I'm their sons godmother... I need to see them... they're all I have left"

The woman opened her mouth to say something else, to tell her the same thing again because it was her job and she couldn't allow Athena to see them. However a voice came from behind the two of them.

"It's alright Lindsey, she's with me"

Athena turned to see a woman she recognised, Augusta Longbottom. She was short with slightly greying hair and a firm line where her mouth was. Wearing a large hat with a vulture on, a green dress and a red handbag the woman definitely stood out among the other guests in the hospital.

"Oh I'm sorry miss, I didn't realise" Lindsey smiled, "let me know if you need anything, I'll be on the ward"

"Thank you Lindsey" Augusta nodded. The healer strode off and Augusta turned to Athena,

"I was wondering when you were going to show up"

"Thank you for that" Athena sighed "I didn't realise it was family visits, I'm so sorry about what's happened... about your son"

"Yes it is terrible" Augusta nodded, "I suppose that you've heard, Neville is staying with me"

"Yes I have" Athena nodded,

"I know you were close to him, I'm aware that you're his godmother and I won't make any attempt to stop you from seeing him. You can see him anytime Athena... I think Neville would like that"

"Thank you" Athena beamed, "thank you, I really appreciate that"

"It is no problem dear" Augusta replied before she continued to walk past Athena and over to the beds covered at the back corner of the ward.

Athena felt dubious about following. She had no idea what she was going to see and she already knew that she didn't like it. Augusta disappeared by the curtain of the bed furthest to the back. Athena presumed that this must be Frank's bed. Frank had been her son after all.