(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟑) the war's over

Start from the beginning

"Lily I'm so sorry" Athena sobbed, "I'm so sorry that you had to die"

Athena opened her eyes again and saw Lily's green eyes staring back at her, empty, alone. Athena moved a strand of her auburn hair away from her skin. Noticing how scared she seemed in death. In was harder knowing that she had been frightened. That she had screamed.

Lily hadn't accepted her fate and now she couldn't even avoid it. Pain was written in her features and mirrored onto Athena's as she cried over her. Lily, her friend, her shield, her love. Lily had been so many things to her, she'd cared so much for her and now she would never get to see her again. Now she'd never get to share a life, to raise her son, to laugh, to cry, to feel.

"This isn't fair, I know this isn't fair" Athena sobbed, "and I can't stand it... I really... what am I supposed to do Lily? How am I supposed to go on now?"

Athena had been wrong. This wouldn't get better. Time couldn't heal this. Nothing could heal this. She was too far gone now, too close to the end. Maybe this would bring the end of the war but to Athena this didn't feel anything like a victory. Maybe Voldemort was dead but she'd lost everything, she felt like she'd lost everything.

Hearing a small cry, she looked up and saw Harry sitting in his cot. He'd been so quiet that Athena had forgotten that he was there, she stared at him in surprise. He had been crying a lot it seemed. His face was red with tears.

Athena saw the scar straight away, the fresh cut on his forehead and she wished that she could heal it however magical wounds could not so easily vanish. This lighting bolt that would like as a forever reminder of that happened to him.

"It's ok Harry" Athena smiled immediately, standing up and moving towards him, "it's ok... auntie Rena's here now"

Hearing running footsteps, she looked up to see Kennedy. The girl stared at Lily lying on the floor and placed her hand over her mouth.

"Oh my god" she gasped, "oh my god... Rena I'm so sorry"

"What are you doing here?" Athena asked lightly, picking Harry up in her trembling arms.

"This is how the war ends, isn't it?" Kennedy asked and Athena could only nod. Kennedy stood stationary for a moment with her hand over her mouth. Suddenly the girl turned on her heel and started running back the way she had come.

"Where are you going?" Athena called,

"To kill Sirius!" Kennedy yelled. Athena nearly dropped Harry in shock, she had completely forgotten that Kennedy still believed that Sirius was the imposter.

"No Kennedy wait!" Athena shouted but she didn't listen.

Athena had to stop her, she had to tell her that Peter and Tessa had been the spies before it was too late. Turning to Lily lying on the floor, Athena stifled one last cry.

"Goodbye" she whispered, "I love you so much"

Athena turned and paced down the stairs, slightly less shaken than she had been now realising the risks that were going to take place if she didn't do something.

She burst out into the cold air and saw Kennedy turn to her, before she could say anything Kennedy had disappeared. Apperated to Sirius. How Kennedy knew where he was, Athena wasn't sure however Athena had seen one clear thought in Kennedy's mind before she vanished.

Carnaby street, London

With the location in mind, Athena turned to Hagrid to was staring at her through bleary eyes himself.

"Av been sent to pick up 'Arry" he sniffed, "Dumbledore sent me"

Athena nodded as she hurried over with Harry in her arms,

"I'll be back for you soon Harry" she whispered before she passed him carefully to
Hagrid.

Before she could leave herself, she heard a pop of apparition and turned to see Remus staring at the house in shock.

"Rena what's going on?" He called,

"They're dead" Athena told him through tears, "I have to find Sirius"

"Rena—"

"Carnaby street" she told him simply. Remus look as though he was on the verge of a breakdown, his hands shaking as he stared towards the house in shock,

"Rena" he repeated, "wait"

"I can't" she shook her head before she turned on her heel and vanished. Athena appeared in the middle of chaos. She doubled back for a moment as she tried to figure out what had happened. People were screaming, muggles were screaming.

There was a large crater in the middle of the road, rubble had been flung everywhere. The explosion had hit people, muggles. Bodies were lying on the ground and Athena had no idea what was going on.

Her eyes landed on Kennedy who was standing staring at the scene in shock. Athena was more worried about the muggles. It was evident that this disaster had been caused by magic and they were all standing there watching.

There were more pops and Athena saw people in ministry of magic robes. The minister himself was there. Cornelius Fudge who had been recently appointed.

"Kenny!" Athena dashed over,

"He killed him" Kennedy whispered, "I really trusted him"

"Kennedy wait!" Athena pleaded but it was too late, the girl was gone. Athena swore loudly as she continued to hurry forwards. She had to do something. So many people were crying, the ministry wizards were crowded around the explosions, the bodies.

"Twelve muggles!" One of them called. That's when she heard the laughter. Turning, she saw Sirius standing in the middle of the rubble covered in dust. He was laughing, amongst all of this terror he was laughing.

"Sirius!" Athena called. His eyes snapped to her and his smile faltered,

"He murdered Peter Pettigrew!" A ministry wizard called and Athena's heart dropped as she turned back to Sirius who was staring at her. One of the ministry wizards bent down and picked something off the floor. It took Athena a moment to realise what it was. A finger. Peter Pettigrew's finger.

"Sirius Black you are hereby under arrest for the murder of Peter Pettigrew and twelve muffle bystanders" one of the auror's called.

Athena's attention turned back to Sirius as he stared at her.

"You have to listen to me!" He yelled out, "Rena! Tell Kennedy what you know"

"Did you kill him Sirius?" Athena shouted and Sirius shook his head in a panic.

Athena's heart was racing as she began to run towards the arrest.

"Wait!" She yelled, "wait no you can't do that!"

Some of them turned however magical handcuffs had already been placed over his wrists. Sirius was flanked by two auror's both looking angered and upset.

"Sirius!" Athena screamed, they were going to take him. They were going to take him away and she had to stop them.

"Tell Kennedy that I love her" Sirius shouted to her.

"STOP" Athena cried out again but it was too late. They'd apperated and taken Sirius with them. They'd taken him to Azkaban.

"RENA" she turned to see Remus pacing towards her. Some of the auror's were frowning at her as she backtracked. Tears streaming her face,

"I have to find Kennedy" Athena murmured as she approached Remus. She looked up to him. Remus looked distraught, more upset than Athena had ever seen him. However along with all that sadness lay anger, she could see it in his eyes.

"Remus?" She whispered, reaching a hand up to touch his face however he took hold of her wrist to stop him.

"Why did you lie?"

☽☽☽

A/n
Words - 2442
Published- 8th April 2021

sorry :(
this was originally supposed
to be closer to the end
but then I decided to add
more of the aftermath of the war
bc I feel like people usually end it here