(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟒) beneath the surface

Start from the beginning

"So what have you been up to while we were away Pete?" Dorcas asked,

"Not a lot" he shrugged, "there's not a lot we can do, I've been working in a bar a bit for some extra cash"

"Good for you" James smiled, "I should probably think about getting a job"

"It feels like life has paused because of the war" Athena sighed, "I mean... my parents are still sending me money and I'm nineteen years old, I should be earning my own"

"You will" Marlene smiled, "I think I'm going to take a medical course at the ministry, we have no idea how long this war is going to last and I'm sick of living with my family even though I love them"

"I told you" Dorcas yawned, "you can move in with me"

"I wouldn't be able to pay you Dee" Marlene sighed,

"You're my girlfriend, your presence is enough payment in itself... anyway you're at mine most of the time anyway"

"I guess" the blonde shrugged, "I'll think about it"

Athena smiled lightly, moving her feet into Remus' lap as she leant against Dorcas. Remus looked up in surprise but shot her a smirk before turning back to the group.

James opened his mouth to say something else when there was a sudden clatter in the fireplace behind him. He jumped about three feet in surprise as he turned around.

Kennedy appeared in a flash of green flames. For someone staying in an apartment and doing not much else she seemed very disheveled and out of breath. It took Athena a moment to notice that she was crying, a lot.

"Fuck Vulpes you gave me a—" Sirius began, "Kennedy?"

The girl stumbled forward and collapsed into Sirius' arms, clutching at his leather jacket as she sobbed into him. Athena had never seen her quite like this.

"What's going on?" Athena asked, jumping up quickly and moving over to her friend,

"I can't" she breathed through gasping sobs, "he's... fuck"

"Sit down" Sirius pulled her over to an arm chair and kneeled in front of her.

Athena did the same and watched Kennedy try and compose herself.

"What happened?" Sirius asked, "did someone break into the apartment?"

"I wasn't at the bloody apartment" Kennedy sighed,

"What?" Sirius frowned, "you barely ever leave"

"I do" she panted, "I just... I'm sorry I couldn't tell you but... fuck"

"Kennedy you're going to have to tell us what happened?" Athena sighed,

"He's... he's... he's dead" Kennedy cried out, "and I couldn't do anything to stop him"

"Who's dead?" Sirius muttered cautiously,

"Regulus"

Athena's heart dropped as she turned to Sirius. The face of the younger Black boy appeared in her mind, his slanted smile, grey eyes, black curls.

Sirius didn't say anything for a moment, his expression didn't change.

"What happened?" James asked.

"Regulus... he found something out about Voldemort... he's been trying to stop him and I've been helping somewhat" Kennedy explained, "but we didn't get very far well... until now"

"What do you mean?"

"Voldemort... he's making horcruxes" Kennedy continued, "it's where you place a section of your soul into an object and... well you can't die unless that object is destroyed"