Chapter 29: Band of Brothers

As the next day progressed Hinata's growth from the training camp became more evident as he started to show signs of strategy in practice.

As Kageyama made a toss to Tsukishima, Hinata became silent as he watched the play go through. Yachi noticed the silence and made a conclusion.

He... really did change... he took my words to heart...and got better... did he figure out what I am to him? If he hasn't talked to me about it then maybe-

"What is it?" Shimizu asked startling Yachi

"Oh! Um! It's weird... ever since he came back from camp... I've noticed that Hinata sometimes gets strangely quiet now... especially for him."

Shimizu watched Hinata and nodded "True... but is that all?"

"What do you mean?" Yachi asked

"It seemed like you were just as much lost in thought as he looked like he was."

"Um... maybe... I guess... I don't... know."

Shimizu sighed "You said what you said because you saw it as true right? Hinata did too. Just give him time ok?"

"How long?" Yachi asked in a sad tone, her head dropping causing her bangs to cover her eyes

"However long it takes I suppose, in the meantime let's all do our best."

Yachi sighed as she watched the court further.

— —
— —

Date Tech Practice Match
— —
— —

"Hinata!" Kogane shouted in excitement

"Kogane!"

"Hey! Tsukki!"

Tsukishima nodded and walked away as Yamaguchi got angry that someone had the gall to call Tsukishima that nickname.

Yachi noted the interaction between the giant setter and the tiny middle blocker and realized that Kogane was one of the players invited to the camp. As the teams got ready to play the game the mindset within both teams was the same as they both viewed this day with seriousness. The whole practice match was brutal and consumed so much energy. Throughout this match Hinata showed his maturity and observational skills as he managed to rally the team together after Kageyama's outbursts, along with Tsukishima's antics. The maturity put Yachi at ease while it also made her anxious as she felt more and more like he was somehow over her, as she started to believe he figured out he didn't feel much toward her than she thought. Her spirit shaken once more, she started to fall into a rut.

"Hitoka-chan... let's get something to eat after hm?" Shimizu said smiling softly

"Ok... why?" she said

"Call it... girl's night." She said simply

Soon after Karasuno and Date Tech thanked each other for the game and wished the former luck at Nationals. Hinata waved Kogane off and bowed to Aone out of respect to which he returned the favor.

"Their silent friendship is so weird but cool." Tanaka said to himself

"Yeah" Futakuchi said in agreement causing both to jolt in shock as they realized who they were both talking to. Tanaka grunted and nodded as Futakuchi scoffed and walked away as both were pushed away by their respective elders.

Yachi sighed and followed Shimizu as they left school to have dinner together solely for Yachi to have some company and nothing more. Shimizu was kindhearted and just wanted to make sure Yachi would eat well and take her mind off, sometimes not talking about it and socializing with a friend was just as good as talking about it at all. As everyone finished personal practice due to the school gym closing for the night. They changed into their jackets to leave until Daichi tapped Yamaguchi and Tsukishima on their shoulders.