hold tight

NOTE: Prinxiety, Roman angst, Virgil angst, TWs for suicide attempts, referenced self-harm, depression, panic attacks

Virgil had been meaning to confront his fear of falling for ages now.

He and Roman had saved up money together to finally do it (it took quite a while), but the day had come when they would finally go skydiving together. His anxiety was through the roof, but having his boyfriend there was comforting.

The two of them were strapped into their parachutes. Roman examined his straps, tugging at them fitting tightly.

"Hey, are you okay, Ro? You seem kinda... sad."

Roman hadn't been the most mentally healthy person in his life, but lately he'd been doing better. For the past few months, he'd been more animated, been singing more than he used to in the darker points of his life, been more affectionate. And he seemed to think of himself as better than everyone else again.

"Nay, emo. It's probably that I'm just as scared as you."

"Wow, my prince is scared? That's a first."

The plane was high in the sky, and the world was pretty from up here. Clouds floated lazily and the blue sky complimented trees, grass, and plants below.

"Excited?"

"Terrified, drama queen."

They were ushered out of the plane, holding hands. Virgil's heart beat quickly, but Roman held tight, looking in his eyes. He was here. This would be okay.

What if your parachute fails? Or you pull it too late? Or Roman's fails?

It's okay. He's here. Even if one of them fails, there are two of you.

He spun in circles with Roman for the first few moments, enjoying the height.

"This is terrifying, Roman."

He kissed Virgil's hands.

"It is."

"It's not as bad as I thought it would be. It's kinda fun. It seems like something nice to experience twice. I might do it again someday, if I can get the money."

Roman smiled sadly, letting go of Virgil's hands.

"I doubt it."

"Roman? You're acting different, are you- oh, okay."

Virgil watched his boyfriend drift off to the side, far away from where he could reach him. The altimeter read around 4500 feet, they should pull their cords soon. He called over to Roman as he went to do so, but stopped, because...

Roman didn't.

In fact, he breathed deeply, looking down towards the ground. He loosened his straps, pulling them off. Virgil watched in horror as his parachute was left behind him.

He was trying to kill himself.

Virgil, still falling freely, dove in his boyfriend's direction. Roman tried moving away, but he'd managed to grab his hand. He writhed, crying and trying to let go, but Virgil's grip held.

"Roman, please-"

"Let go, please, I can't, I can't live-"

Virgil pulled him closer. They were nearing 1000 feet. They had to deploy it now.

Virgil wrapped his arms and legs around Roman, hoping it was enough to keep him from falling out of his grasp, and pulled his cord. They sobbed together as they landed hard on the ground, Virgil still holding his grip.