Chapter 29

Location: Lungmen

Greythroat: Drop your weapon!

Greythroat pointed her crossbow at the infected in front of her. He was alone, and also wielding a crossbow.

Greythroat: Just you?

The infected didn't replied, unfazed by Greythroat.

Greythroat: Move and I'll shoot.

Infected: You'll have to find me first.

The infected's body slowly starts to become translucent, before disappearing.

Greythroat: Your arts won't fool me. You can refract light to conceal yourself, any sudden movements and the illusion will fall.

Infected: Wrong.

Greythroat quickly turns around to see an arrow travelling towards her. She tilts her head to the side and aims her weapon at the general direction on where the arrow came from.

Infected: Can you predict my movements? If we both pull the trigger at the same time, we both die. You're a capable sniper, what is your name?

Greythroat suddenly felt the head of the Infected's weapon touch her back, alerting her of his position, but it was already too late.

Greythroat: It's Greythroat. When did you get behind me?

Infected: It's a secret I can't tell you.

Greythroat: You've been separated. I won't kill you if you don't want to fight.

Infected: We're enemies-

Greythroat: Rhodes Island is here to save the infected. I saw you helping them, the infected.

Infected: No, Rhodes Island kills infected. How are they able to hire people this naive?

Greythroat: I know I am naive. All I do is follow orders. I freeze up whenever I am unable to make an important decision for myself. And yes, we also kill infected, those who deserve it.

Inside an alleyway, Spade watched the interaction while eating a cup of ramen with a bored look on his face.

Spade: Jeez, what is it with enemies having to talk in such a long matter?

Spade questions before throwing the empty cup away as he continues watching.

Infected: ...Don't take my mercy for weakness. If I had ambushed you, you would be dead by now.

Greythroat: But you didn't...

Infected: ....

The infected took a step back as his body became translucent again.

Greythroat: Wait!

Infected: There's nothing I can do.

Greythroat closed her eyes, waiting for the first arrow to hit her, but she felt nothing.

Greythroat: Hm? Why haven't you killed me?

Infected: You didn't shoot, neither will I. But next time? If you don't kill me, I will kill you.

Greythroat: I don't want to hurt you.

Infected: Too bad.

Greythroat lowers her crossbow when she felt the infected's presence disappear. She quickly lifted it again to aim it in the direction of incoming footsteps only to see Spade.