Oleander's tone only became more and more acrimonious.

"Who knows what my aunt has put Angel through?! She's obviously forced him to attend this school in disguise. I know for a fact that she hits him when he doesn't comply and starves him when he does something wrong. It's revolting."

My stomach began to churn. I looked down at my trembling hands as tears began to fall. Crashing my hands onto my face, I began to sob uncontrollably. I was a despicable person. All this time I had teased Angel's height, not knowing that the reason he wasn't growing was due to lack of nutrition. I was the one who had judged him, calling him names and assuming the absolute worst when I didn't even know him. He's been through so much.

Oleander stood up and made her way to me. She removed the hair from my face and asked me what was wrong. I peeled my hands away and found her crouched next to me.

"I'm a terrible person. I thought me and Angel were becoming friends, but who would want to be friends with someone who makes fun of their hardships?!" I choked through my tears and buried my face into my hands again.

She placed a hand on my shoulder. Oleander crooned, "Surely there's a reason why Angel wanted you to come to his performance in the first place. He doesn't let anyone watch him play the violin. The only way I was able to come here was without him knowing."

I slowly raised my head. Oleander gave me a warm smile. Perhaps she was right, there must have been a reason why he allowed me to come. Suddenly, the door of the practice room creaked open.

"Tell her my whole life story why don't you?" Angel jeered as he leaned against the door frame.

Oleander's face immediately brightened and she ran up to him. "Angel!" She beamed.

I quickly tried to wipe away all of my tears as I got up to join them but to no avail.

"I'm sorry. I know this is something I shouldn't have told her without your permission," Oleander said solemnly.

"It's fine. I'd rather have you tell Camellia than anyone else." Angel's gaze then fell onto me. He smirked. "You look like a mess and a half."

I couldn't say anything other than a sniffle.

"Where's your scary maid?" Oleander's eyes flickered as she asked.

"I told her to take the rest of the day off," he sighed, "and you should really get going before they find out you're here."

Now it made sense why she had been wearing a hat so big it was almost goofy, along with sunglasses. I assumed that she was not allowed anywhere near Angel or this campus.

She laughed. "Yeah, you're right. It was wonderful meeting you Camellia, I'm sure we'll meet again soon! *Najung-e boja, baby cousin," she said as she gave Angel a pat on the shoulder.

Oleander smiled and waved to me, exiting the room. I waved back to her with one hand while rubbing my eye with the other.

Raising a quizzical eyebrow to Angel, he promptly responded with, "She's half Korean. On her father's side." After a moment, Angel turned to me and sneered, "So what? Are you gonna throw me a pity party now?"

I knew he was joking but in a way, I felt like he meant it. I obviously felt horrible for everything he had gone through. There was this boy, who stood in front of me, who had endured things that no child should ever endure. This didn't make him weak, no absolutely not.

His brazen behavior and unwillingness to open up to anyone made so much sense now. I would probably be the same way.

Wiping the tears away, I shook my head. "No. I'll be here for you instead."

He stared at me for a moment, his eyes glimmered under the light above, and then twirled around. I followed directly behind him and smiled. "Your playing was magnificent!" I gushed.

Angel scoffed. "I absolutely despise the violin."

"Why? You're so gifted at it!"

He rolled his eyes. "Something I was forced to learn as a child. I can't exactly afford to be anything less than perfect, if you know what I mean."

I bit my tongue. Now I had to be somewhat conscience around Angel about the things I said. But I couldn't help be curious. Still, even after learning almost everything about him, I yearned to know more. I felt very selfish, but at the same time, it felt as though this had brought me closer to him. And he wasn't against me learning his history at all.

"Ah! I should really get going, I need to return this dress back to Zinnia!"

"I knew that dress was too nice to be yours," Angel teased.

I rolled my eyes and took hold of his arm. "C'mon! I also heard they were going to hand out leftover cookies tonight!"

He gave me an affectionate smile. Is it strange that his smile is something I want to keep all for myself? That thought would keep me up for the rest of the night.

Dear mamá,

Although I do expect him to forgive me, I do hope I can make it up to him. In order to do this, I must change my way of thinking by not judging others before getting to know them. You taught me better than that. He is my friend, and I intend to help him in any way I can.

If I am a lake, then Angel is an entire ocean.

With love,
Camellia

━━━━
a/n
*Najung-e boja - see you later in Korean