"I'm sure Vanessa is already trying to get you to conceive" he drawled as he sat down next to her, angeling his chair slightly towards her. "But something tells me that is the last thing on your mind. Drink" he ordered gently, and Gema thankfully took the glass and sipped it. vistos pushed the sleeves up on his sweater and surveyed the dancing couples around them. gema was studying his profile in snippets, trying to find pieces of Doug in him, but she saw none.

"step"

"excuse-fuse me?" gems squeaked out, and Vistos' eyes never left the floor.

"Were stepbrothers, not blood"

Gema frowned "I've, never heard of Vanessa's other husband-"

"that's because there wasn't one"

Vistos stood swiftly and turned to her, offering his hand.

"care to dance?"

"oh no, no, I couldn't-"

vistos didn't take no for an answer as he whisked Gema out onto the floor and settled one hand on the small of her back, and the other held her hand in his, curled against his chest. They swayed as the music played, his scent filling her nose. He smelled fresh, and clean, with just a hint of spice.

"in my country" Vistos started, his hand on her back opening so his fingers splayed there. "we do not believe in marrying for money, cara"

Gema jerked back from him. "my name is gema not cara, and I am not marrying Doug for his money!"

Vistos pulled her back into his arms effortlessly but firmly.

"then explain to me why a girl as strong, gorgeous, and sexy" his hand on her back crept towards her butt. "is marrying a man like my idiot of a stepbrother"

"perhaps I love him? Ever think of that?" she snapped at Vistos and he chuckled, his laughter making his chest rumble.

"I love that mouth of yours! Moto Bono, but you do not love him, Gema"

"why do you think that you know me? And why won't you just leave me alone?" gema begged him, and Vistos looked down at her, his eyes intense.

"because no woman can love the man who beats her"

Gema reeled and would have fallen had it not been for his strong arms. Somehow he had managed to manuever them across the dancefloor as they danced and to the side door. Vistos led her through the door and into the library, where Gema leaned against the bookshelf to catch her breath and her bearings. When she spoke her voice shook and she couldn't look at Vistos.

"how" was all she could say.

"You are not the first"

Gemae closed her eyes, willing the tears not to fall.

"you can not tell him you know-"

"or what? He's going to go after you? No, he would not be so stupid as to lay a hand on you, knowing I pocess this knowledge. Speed you to the alter, now that he would do. Bea you snseless everyday of your sham of a marriage? I can't imagine that's the only thing he would do"

Gema groaned and sunk her head into her hands.

"why me"

"now that, is an easy question"

Gema looked at Vustos now as he stood leaning on the desk, hands in his pockets, eTching her.

"what di you mean?"

"did  you find it a bit peculiar that your parents lawyer contacted you when they died, instead of you contacting them?"

Gema frowned "what are you saying?"

"I'm saying, that it never struck you as odd how rushed they made the wedding? Or that you've never actually seen te status of your parents finances?"

"well yeah, Doug handled all of that..."

"you didn't find that odd?"

"of-of course not!" gema exclaimed. "I was grieving! Doug helped me-"

Vistos laughed. "Doug helped himself to your parents finances, and he gets yours as soon as you guys are married"

Gema stated a vistos, trying not to believe him.

"your parents left you a large trust of funds that can only be touched by you once you get married, hich is why Doug wants to marry you. My late father left Doug a trust as well, but Doug is nearly through that money and needs some cash. But more important than cash, He has his eye on my fathers company"

"The distributing company? Borden & Stakolopous?"

Vistos inclined his head. "you're looking at Stakolopous."

            “so let me get his straight" gema whispered. "Doug stole a bunch of moneyfrom my parents, and is now trying to marry me for even more money"

Vistos nodded and Gema shook her head. "my life is over."

Vistos said nothing, and she suddenly frowned at him. "how do I know you're not lying? Why'd you even tell me all that stuff?"

vistos looked her in the eye and smirked slightly.

"I want you to become my mistress"