Chapter 24 - Emotional Secrets

After settling Emma back down in her bed, Adrein quietly made his exit. Closing the door with a satisfying click. Adrien let out a sigh, the encounter hadnt gone as bad as he thought it would but it wasnt ideal. With the job done for the night, he quietly made his way to the master bedroom with Plagg in towe. Marinette was already there, sitting on the edge of her side of the bed brushing out her hair. The very light pastel pink silk nightgown she wore hiding her slim figure from his view. Closing the door behind him, Adrien sighed, worn out from the long day. Mari looked up from the floor when she heard her husband, in time to see him straighten up off the door and begin to fiddle with the button on the cuff of his white button up. He took a few steps before stopping in front of their dresser and undid the buttons on his shirt. Plagg quietly flopped down on Adrien's shoulder, also depressed by the situation. Without a second thought Adrien reached up and patted the little kwami before going back to the dresser and opening one of the drawers. Seeing this, Mari scooted off the bed to her feet and made her way to the love of her life. Wrapping her arms around him from behind she rested her cheek against his shoulder blade. 

"I'm guessing it didnt go too well with Emma."

"Well,....not exactly. " Adrien replied as he pulled a shirt out from the drawer he opened, before turning slightly to put an arm around his wife. Again he sighed. "Why is a parent's job so hard?" 

"It just is. We're forced to make tough decisions. Their safety is everything and we have to make the decisions that keep them protected, even if it means there will be emotional hurt along the way."

"Tell me about it. I just dont want them to get hurt or feel like I did growing up." Adrien glanced over to the mirror, his own reflection gazing back at him as his mind replayed the horrors of life in that old mansion with his father. 

"Adrien...." Upon hearing his name he turned his eyes back to Marinette. "You are an incredible dad. Trust me, those kids wouldnt have nearly as much love and care if you weren't here. Well I mean they would, but not to the extent that they do now.." 

"You were doing so well for a moment there M'lady." Adrien smirked, teasing her for the last statement.

"Oh hush, I'm serious." She defended smacking him on his bare chest. "Besides you know I'm right." She finished breaking apart from him her hands resting on her hips as Adrien went back to getting his jammas from the drawer. 

"Uh huh." Adrien replied again as he closed the drawer and slipping a dark gray tee over his head. "Just like my decision to marry you."

"Ouch, that hurt Agreste." The woman replied as she took a seat at the foot of the bed. 

"What!? It's true." Adrien said changing the tone of the conversation as he walked up to her. "If I hadnt proposed to you that day so long ago, I wouldnt be the luckiest man alive, would I?" He went on, learning down and lifting her chin slightly with the tips of his fingers. 

"Is that so?" Marinette questioned with a smile as she leaned back on the bed using her elbows as a support. 

"Mhm." Adrien hummed in response as he followed her before capturing her lips with his. It was short and sweet, but that was all they needed in this moment. 

"I'm lucky to have you too Kitty." Marinette spoke softly, brushing Adrien's hair off to the side as their foreheads came together and their eyes closed. It was beautiful bliss. A needed period after a very long, emotional day. 

"Goodnight Princess." Kissing her one more time, Adrien took his place on the right side of their bed. Pulling up the covers and flicking off the lamp on the nightstand, Adrien settled in to finally get some rest. Wrapping her arms around her husband and pressing her chest into his back, Mari also settled in.