Chapter Eleven

11 | SIX-LEAF CLOVER

Things have gone pretty well at home

Things have gone pretty well at home. We got called from the hospital that Winona's appetite is doing better, as she craved for her sriracha latte. Brooke has restored her good night sleep and is scrambling in her bedroom to check any emails from Harvard. The confirmation letter to reopen the coffeehouse just arrived yesterday, and I couldn't be happier about everything that has been circling around.

       Except for Justin.

       It's been two weeks since he found out about the news. I haven't heard anything back from him besides the smiley emoticon he sent me the night it happened.

       Just in time when I stop myself from thinking about Justin, Brooke walks down the stairs in a yellow sunshine dress. Her natural red curls are reaching down to her waist, in match with the scorching sun.

       "Woah, who are you and what have you done to Brooke?" I tease her. 

       "Whatever you say, Mon."

       "Why are you wearing that, anyway?"

       The hot nerd cheekily smiles. Brooke pats me on the shoulder before saying, "I'm going out with Kate, and you're not invited."

       "Why?"

       Brooke scrunches her nose, before putting on a mask. "We all know that Justin's only willing to open up to you. So you better spread your wings to welcome him later on."

       I blow raspberries at her both burdening and flattering comment.

       "Yeah, right. He won't even reply to my texts. How are you so sure he's going to show up?"

       She winks. "Wanna bet?"

       The week has just gotten lighter for us and I've swore to not jinx it first by cursing.

       Just before I'm thinking about making a sassy comeback, a familiar honk from outside causes Brooke to pat my head. Noticing that the car belongs to Kate, I shout, "Where are you two actually going?"

       "To the mall! We need some extra stuff for tonight's reopening. Good luck with O'Connell!"

       Brooke just ditched me and for the first time, I'm feeling extremely sour about it. Out of all people, I just had to be the one who's being a certificate-less therapist.

       Regardless of Justin's flirty motives, I still have to update the school papers. And if I'm doing my maths correctly, I will have a long evening remembering I've just written a paragraph in my draft.

       Procrastination is just really hitting up the bars these days.

       "Hey."

       My mind gets blurred when a deep voice chimes in, diverting my attention to the front door.