Chapter Four

04 | NOT-SO NEW GIRL

I'm currently laying on the rubber-carpeted floor, gasping for air

I'm currently laying on the rubber-carpeted floor, gasping for air. Freshly squeezed sweats are sticking to my white jersey. After the holiday ends and entering the year of 2020, we're now walking in our second semester, third week of school, and four months left until graduation.

       It's fascinating how my life timeline can be numerically sequential.

       I let my chest to heave up and down after finishing today's circuit training. I nearly doze off, until a shrieking voice strikes inside the unsupervised PE class.

       "I got the highest score!"

       Stretching my neck to seek the owner of the voice, I lazily eye Brooke's flashy presence in her cheerleading attire as she jumps her way to me. The redhead explicitly grabs the attention of all hormonal boys in the gym, making my head shake at how reckless she can be.

       Despite everyone who is focused on her flapping mini skirt, I'm starting to feel pressured by the time her cheery face gets along so well with the A+ mark on the gripped white paper, blocking her pompoms.

       "That's great!" Cole cheers, taking a rest from his unmoving pull-up position.

       "I know! Where's Monique? And Luke?" she enthusiastically asks.

       I suggest, "The clubroom?"

       Brooke giggles fiercely at the thought of wanting to boast about her score, as usual.

       "See you guys later, bye!"

       With a short hand wave from the girl, Brooke walks lumpily to the exit door.

       Receiving the safe code to sigh, Cole's sweatless body lays down beside me as he whispers, "Psst. . . which subject was it?"

       I stare at him sharply.

       Cole only hangs himself around the pull-up bars for the past hour. His brain should be more alive than mine right now. How could he not read the chemical symbols on the test paper?

       He proudly exclaims, "It's chem, isn't it? I definitely saw something-nium in her paper."

       I get up with the backup of my elbows, trying to stabilize my blurry vision. I'm afraid I'll get infected with his stupidity if I spend the next fifteen minutes with him.

       "What did you get, by the way? Didn't our class have the test a week earlier than hers?"

       Grabbing two water bottles, I throw one to him before gulping half of mine in one go.

       "I got an F which for your information, stands for Fantastic," I shamelessly say.

       As much as committing to schoolwork is already hard for me, I really hate it when my test results are crashing to the ground. I'd rather live a life as someone who doesn't go to school, since I have learned most of what I already know from the internet anyway.