Chapter Thirty-One | Jasper

Start from the beginning

While passing by, Darren gave Jasper a friendly bump of the shoulder and headed back into the house. There were no patrols going out that afternoon as far as Jasper knew, it would be a perfect time to bring Killian out and about for a while. He wasn't exactly sure how long they would be out, but he wanted to get back home before the sun went down. Walking over to Killian, Jasper attempted to cheer up his partner with a playful kiss on the cheek. It earned him a tiny smile from Killian, who silently headbutted him in the chest for more. "In a little bit, let's wait until we're alone." Jasper chuckled. "Go and get your crossbow, I've got my gun on me already."

Killian grabbed onto Jasper's arm and tugged, "Come with." He mumbled.

"I thought you didn't need a babysitter?" Jasper prompted, raising his brows. Stopping dead in his tracks, Killian dropped Jasper's hand and whipped around with an unhappy huff, clumsily marching off into the house to get his crossbow. Not being able to help but chuckle under his breath, Jasper could only think just how lucky he was to have Killian. If he hadn't ever found him, Killian would have died, killed by that insane knife-wielding man. If he'd never met Killian, where would he be now? He'd most likely have returned to camp empty-handed with no survivors, feeling like a failure. That sort of thinking was enough to kill somebody on its own, let alone with biters roaming around. Jasper was both relieved and happy to have found Killian that day.

As Jasper continued to reminisce, he was reminded of their not-so-romantic meeting. The first thing that had been exchanged were fists--mostly from Killian--instead of thanks. The second thing he remembered wasn't the aggression in the younger man's eyes, but the fear. Killian had been terrified of Jasper, willing to do anything to get as far away from him as possible. It had only been that wound stopping him. If Killian hadn't been wounded, would he have hurt Jasper? He wasn't sure, but he didn't want to think about it.

Killian returned soon, the expression of annoyance now absent from his face. He slung his crossbow over one shoulder, then the quiver, filled with bolts that he'd made out of complete and utter boredom. Jasper had been amazed at how crafty Killian was, being able to make his own bolts. There was no doubt in Jasper's mind that the young man's crossbow held sentiment value. Killian had even named it, but he'd never told Jasper what it's name was. That's only for me to know, nobody else can call him by his name but me. He'd said.

"Alrighty Boy Scout," Jasper said, "You ready to go?"

The excitement on Killian's face was enough to make Jasper's heart flutter as the younger man replied with a vigorous nod, "Mhm! I'll catch something this time, you'll see." His brunette curls bounced on his head as he padded carefully over to Jasper.

A smile spread across Jasper's lips, "Hey, you're putting your weight down now. You're almost all done. Just a little more to go and you'll get rid of that limp in no time." Killian beamed at his praise, golden-hazel eyes bright with a new kind of excitement. Jasper often wondered why the younger man became so enlivened whenever he received any sort of approval, but he had a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with the lack of childhood support. Whatever the case may be, his lover's enthusiasm was almost infectious.

"Hurry up then," Killian said impatiently. He hopped down the porch steps and lost his balance, teetering on one leg until Jasper joined him, keeping more calm and collective. After all, one of them had to be the more responsible one. Killian wasn't exactly irresponsible, but he was definitely more impulsive.

Helping Killian get his balance back, Jasper placed a kiss on his partner's forehead. "I know you're excited, but we still have to take it easy for a bit. Let's just get you used to walking on your two legs again first."

Jasper watched as Killian put his leg down experimentally, his eyes brightening when it held up. Then one step, and another, and another. It reminded him almost of a baby deer taking its first walk. A bit unsteady, clumsy, tentative, but he still had the spirit. Killian turned to Jasper with a proud smile. "I'm walking. Without any help. Yes!" Even behind that smile though, Jasper could tell something was wrong.