Flee away

Sree

I looked at Vikram, his hair seemed ruffled.
Did I..Did I fall asleep on his shoulder?
I shuddered. Did he know that? , I hoped he didn't know.

I looked around in horror. It was the morning. The sun was glowing bright.

Where were we? I could see trucks all around, nothing else. Just trucks of various kinds holding such boxes as far as I could see.

" Where are we ?", asked Vikram looking around the place.

I shrugged.

" No idea, how can you fall asleep , it's your mistake", I complained

He looked at me irritated.

"What? As far as I can see, you were asleep too. Stop blaming me" , he said.
He got up and jumped down from the truck.
I got up too and a sharp pain struck my feet. I recollected yesterday. I was still wearing his shoe.

I went near the truck edge and hesitated to jump. Vikram saw that and gave his hand. I acted as if I were going to hold, but I jumped off without his help.

He seemed disappointed and stern. I smiled to myself.

"I guess we have to walk out of this place and find some transport. God knows where we are" , he said.

That's when I panicked. My phone was off. Would Harini be worried?, What about my mother. If she had called, she would have been worried sick. I saw the time. It was 8 am.

"Hey you want to stay here? ", shouted Vikram from some distance apart.

I looked up. I realized he had walked some distance and I was standing in the same place.

I walked towards him. It was a big place. Sort of a parking space, I guessed. We walked for 5 minutes, when we saw some men walking towards us, 4 of them.

Probably we could ask them for help.

"Hi, we are lost here, do you people have any phone that we could use to book a cab or just make a call", I asked a man.

"Who are you ? Talk in Kannada", He said in Kannada

" Kannada gottila" , I said, meaning I don't know kannada, the one of the few words I had learnt in bangalore.

Vikram smiled.

" We are lost, do you have a phone", he asked them in kannada

I looked at him in surprise. He knew kannada?

The men didn't reply, rather they stared at us. They looked at us keenly. I had a bad feeling about it.

Then they brought their hands to their pockets and brought out knives. I stepped back a little.

" Money! Give us all you have!", one guy with a huge moustache said bringing his knife closer.

I looked at Vikram.
"He is asking to give all the money we have", he told me.

" What? , how do we get home without money, how do we escape, they have knifes" I told him, panicking.

" Just calm down, I have my Atm card. We could just give them the money, i'll hide the card" He said.

"What? I have 2 k in my wallet. I don't want to give them. Can't you fight them off, you seem.. I don't know strong" I said

Vikram turned and looked at me.
" Do I seem like a movie hero to you, you want me to fight 4 people with knives?, is your 2k important than our lives"