"and what about after?" he cocks his head to the side

"I'll still be by your side."

____________________

"Hi, Mrs. Hopper! I brought my scooter today!" Zay beams as I unbuckle his seat belt in the drop-off lane. this is probably the most suburban-dad-from-a-quirky-rom-com thing I could ever do.

"that's great Zay!" Mrs. Hopper says as Zay jumps down from the car.

i grab his bag and scooter from the trunk, placing his bag on his shoulders and hand him his scooter.

"bye-bye Mateo." Zay waves before joining his classmates.

"Bye, Zay... here's his helmet that he might insist on not wearing. explain to him the probabilities of him getting hurt and he'll wear it." i hand Mrs. Hopper the Black Panther bike helmet. "make it as mathematical as you can. the more math the higher chance he'll wear it."

she chuckles taking it from me. "in the few weeks you and Nyla have been dropping and picking Zay up, I'm still getting used to not seeing you both in Uniforms. Especially you, you're always in a suit."

i'm dressed in sweatpants and the black shirt i wore to bed with crocs on. my hair is still tossed around my head and i have my glasses on. something very foreign to the public.

"well I would be dressed to impress, but I didn't feel like it." I force a chuckle "have a great day, Mrs. Hopper"

"you too, Mateo"

________________

"What do you have to tell me?" my dad groans sitting down at the island beside Malik.

Nyla's pregnancy hormones are starting to become noticeable along with her growing stomach. we've decided that it's finally time to tell them.

"hurry. I have to get your suit and shit." my dad rushes.

today's also the day my parents are planning my 18th. Invites were sent out on the weekend and we're getting everyone's RSVPs. Honestly, I don't even know who's coming. I invited my cousins and friends, then my parents invite whoever else.

"Mama knows," I say right away.

"you did some stupid shit." my dad says immediately.

Nyla places sonograms on the island.

"are these Elena's?" my dad asks, taking his glasses off his head and putting them on to see.

"no, mama's not having twins," Malik mumbles looking at the sonograms.

"Matthew Andreas Giovanni Giacomo-Ortega the third" my dad says calmly "Vieni qui!" (come here!)

i stand in front of my dad at a safe distance, but he stands up and grabs me by the ear.

"tell me you did not get Nyla pregnant," he says roughly

"I did not get Nyla pregnant," I say sarcastically.

"Matthew Ortega, don't get smart with me!" he tugs my ear again. the minute i start acting like my mother i get her last name, if i act like my dad i get his last name.

"ok ok i got her pregnant." i groan in pain as he pinches my ear harder.

"Matthew Giacomo I'm going to bury you 6 feet under!" of course i only get his last name. my dad was the biggest man whore in Italy when he was younger. he's lucky he's never gotten a girl pregnant, other than my mom, but it's something he would do.

"Nyla I'm sorry that my son is a stupid idiota. if you ever need anything just ask me or Elena"

I called it. I knew he'd be soft towards Nyla but basically kill me.