Chapter Two

"Deci!"

The automatic doors from immigration had barely opened when a high-pitched British-accented voice cut through the air. A svelte beautifully dark-skinned woman began pushing through the waiting crowd—Ava Duke. I couldn't help but laugh on seeing her weaving through people like a rabbit in a cornfield.

When she eventually burst through to the front row of my flight's mass of waiting relatives and friends, a huge smile spread on my face. Here was Ava Duke, the most sought after makeup/hairstylist in the world. But more importantly, my friend.

"December!" she shrieked again with excitement, lurching forward to wrap her arms around my waist. I hugged her straight back. Ava squeezed me tightly, before releasing me and ushering me to the side of the crowd. I followed her, pushing my cart of luggage. Ava looked back to someone and waved her hand. My eyes widened when a huge guy in a black suit, wearing an earpiece, came and took my cart of luggage outside.

A small hand then enveloped my own, swerving my attention back to her. I glanced forward and found Ava staring at me, a happy grin on her bright red lips.

"Shade 107?" I asked and pointed to her lipstick.

She threw back her head and laughed, it was loud and free and I envied the confidence that just poured unguarded from her soul. "Yes! And spoken like a true makeup junkie!"

I shrugged and dipped my head.

"I can't believe you're finally here, Deci!"

"I know," I said, feeling nervous butterflies begin to swoop in my stomach. "I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience right now." I gestured to the airport, then to Ava herself. "All of this, the first class seat... now you." I felt heat flood my cheeks. "Working with someone of your caliber."

Ava batted her hand in front of her face. "That's all just showbiz bollocks. You're here because you're an incredible talent. And most importantly, because you're my friend," she added with a playfully stern look.

"Thank you."

"Good. Now that's settled," she said happily, then pointed at my black grande fedora. "Oh, I'm loving this." She then pointed to my makeup. "And that eye shadow is divine." She rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically. "And bloody hell, Deci, do you have to be even more gorgeous every time I see you? As if you don't slay us all in the looks game online, you've got to do it offline too."

I shook my head and gently tapped Ava on the shoulder. "Says you."

Ava planted her hand on her hip. "Darling, I'm twenty-nine. I'm positively over the hill in this industry." In truth, Ava Duke was the most stunning person I'd ever seen. Tall and elegant with deep skin, dark brown eyes and tight brunette curls that fell perfectly to her shoulders.  Her outer beauty was only made more impressive by the fact she was just as beautiful on the inside, even more so. From the minute we began sharing management, she introduced herself and became my self-appointed mentor, quickly promising to protect me from the wolves and toxicity in the industry. She'd taken me under her wing, and had become like a sister to me ever since.

I opened my mouth to tell her just that, when the mountain of a man who had taken my luggage came toward us again. "Ava, we need to get going."

Ava dramatically sighed at the man like she was angry—she wasn't, I knew this by her playful side wink. She turned to the man in the suit. "Dave, this is December, or Deci for short."

Dave gave me a single stern nod in greeting, then gestured with his arm toward the exit. Ava tutted loudly and threaded her arm through mine. She pulled me forward, behind Dave. "Ignore him, Deci. He had too much protein powder in his shake this morning."