Vacation

Alice

"Are you okay?" Cody asks as he packs up the suv.

"Yeah." I snap out of my thoughts and continue placing the blankets into the backseat.

He sighs and walks over to me. "Come on. What's wrong? Is it about Lawson?"

"It's just so wrong. What I did. You could just see the hurt in his eyes, Cody! He was devastated!" I sit on the seat.

Cody takes my hands. "Look, maybe it was for the best. This trip will be too. Give yourselves time apart and you'll realize how much of a greedy asshole he is, smart, but a perfect little hoe—"

"Whatever." he cracks a little laugh out of me.

He smiles at his accomplishment. "Come on, I don't wanna get there too late."

"Okay." I get up and shut the door. "Did you see that it's snowing up there?"

We both get in our seats. "Yeah and I'm really fucking excited to see even just a little bit of it." he puts the car in drive.

I nod in agreement. "It'll be nice."

I turn to my side a little bit, closing my eyes to relieve myself of the weight on my shoulders.

**

"Lunch!" Cody wiggles me awake.

"Are we almost there?" I groan, sitting up.

He moves his hand side to side, indicating halfway. "I just want you to eat something. You haven't ate since you told Lawson the other day."

"Well you wouldn't understand it. You've never had human interaction nevertheless a girlfriend." I grow annoyed and instantly regret saying that once I see his face full of anger. "Cody, I didn't me—"

He slams the drivers side door in my face, storming off into waffle house.

I chase after him, trying to prove to him that I genuinely didn't mean a word I said.

"Just forget it, okay?! You get your first boyfriend and now you're all of a sudden a pro, right? You know all of the pain and heartbreak. Get the fuck over yourself, Ali. Lawson is a piece of shit that wants everything to go his way and he gets what he wants. Don't believe me? I was the one to grow up with him for nineteen years and now look at me. On probation at your ranch." he takes a seat.

I sit in front of him. "I know! And I'm so sorry! I should just listen to you instead of blaming myself for something I don't regret!—"

"What?"

"I mean—" I shut my mouth.

"Ah ha." he leans back, crossing his arms and smirking. "Don't regret the kiss?"

"Shut up, mr. probation." I laugh.

The waitress comes by and takes our order.

**

"It's gorgeous!!!" I run towards the cabin.