Goodbyes

Alice

"GET ER!" Cody shouts.

Jacob runs and jumps up, catching the football.

"AND HE SUCCEEDS!" Jacob calls out and the boys run to each other.

Devynn walks over to me. "Jacob has really enjoyed having Cody around..." she trails off. "He doesn't really have friends and I guess they have that in common."

I turn to her. "Yeah for sure. Jacob is seriously the only person Cody has bonded with—"

"Besides you."

"Besides me." I sigh. "Cody may be a smartass to Jacob, but trust me, if he truly didn't want to be around Jacob or talk to him, he wouldn't. He would let them know. So him just being with Jacob and having fun and laughing... it shows a lot how much he has grown emotionally."

"I'm sorry..." she hugs me. "I know this is going to be hard for you."

"I just know I'm gonna be so lonely and... lost! Like my life has become all about Cody these last few months he has lived here. It wasn't a long time, but we've been through a lot." I hug her back. "I'm scared. I'm scared to lose my best friend."

"I don't know what to say... I don't know Cody that well but I can tell that he adores you. He will make it work for you guys."

"Hey!" Cody and Jacob run over so we depart.

"Wanna go inside and eat some lunch?" Jacob asks.

I notice Cody scanning me, but I do everything in my will to avoid eye contact with him.

"Yes! I'm starving!" Devynn gets off of the ground.

I do the same. "I'm down."

Jacob and Devynn start walking to the house, but Cody keeps me back. "Hey... what's wrong?" he asks.

"I'm dying of thirst." I laugh and walk on.

He knows I'm lying, but he doesn't say anything else since we're around Jacob and Devynn.

We all walk inside and start making cheese sticks and fries.

Cool combo right?

"You need to send us pictures of all the snow in Colorado!" Jacob exclaims. "And send us a ticket down once you get settled in."

"Sure will!" Cody bites into the cheese stick.

"Build a cool snowman!" Devynn squeals.

"Because we don't get snow in Georgia." Jacob groans.

"Give it a hat!"

"A carrot for a penis!"

Everyone bursts out laughing, though I fake my laugh.

"Love, can you hand me the salt?" Cody says through the laughters of Jacob and Devynn as they create their imaginary snowman.

My fake smile drops as I hand him the salt.