12.

KULSUM'S POV.

Lekki,

Lagos, Nigeria.

Tranquil and Quest Rehabilitation Center.

My third day in the rehab center was when I first saw Laura.

She looked just like everyone else-dull, detached, and has given up on life.

I don't know how to feel honestly. Being around all these people who are in every manner like me, it made something in me spark. It reignited the feeling that there are some people that understand what I'm going through. I have no doubt in my mind that our stories are different, but somehow, the pain and need to depend on drugs is something we all have in common.

For the first two days I wasn't allowed to attend any sessions other than breakfast, lunch and dinner. That was something we're all forced to have at the same time. In between you can have other snacks in between alone, or in group, whichever you prefer. But, those three is a general task.

I wasn't allowed out of my room for the first two days because apparently, my parents label my current condition as 'dangerous'. I know I wasn't exactly in the most appropriate sense of mind when I arrived at the rehab center but I wasn't exactly dangerous either. Well, unless someone crosses my path I am good.

I hate the rehab center. I'm pretty sure my inmates in this prison feels the same way too. I'd tried to escape, but in between being locked in a room with one window-which is made up of unbreakable glass by the way and no sharp object in the room and the bathroom, I was rendered armed-less.

It also didn't help that I had zero access to drugs three days now. It's making me more agitated than normal. I've never been away from drugs for three days straight. The closest thing I've had to that is when my family tried to get every drug away from me but even then I managed to get some to take in a day no matter how small it is because I know my house in and out.

This case is different. I don't know this place and I won't get to know it if I'm cooped in my room for three days straight.

It was horrible. It's been so long since I've been away from drugs for that long. Yesterday, I was heaving and sweating profusely on the floor when one of the workers saw me and quickly took me to their clinic. There, I got the 'medical' shot that somehow eased the pain but if it was up to me, I'd take three more of that shot. Then, I'd be alright.

I don't know what changed their minds to finally let me start attending sessions today but they did anyways. After breakfast, I was asked to join the others in the main hall for group therapy. We are about fifty or more in number so we were divided into groups. The group I'm in consisted of six people, I being the seventh.

Three of them are males while the other three are females. Each of them either looks like the 'stay away from me if you know what's good for you' type or the 'I don't care about anything' type.

Laura belongs to the second group.

I remember clearly when I first saw her. She was sitting opposite me as our instructor made us form a circle so we could talk, though none of us plan on 'talking'.

I don't know why but something about her felt familiar. Instead of focusing on whatever nonsense the instructor was saying, I watched her up close trying to put the pieces in together to remember how is it that I know her.

She looked up, her scrutinizing gaze met mine. She kept her facial expression neutral, but still didn't look away. I don't think she plans on looking away and neither do I.