Chiaki

"Chiaki," Hajime gently shook the dozing girl awake at the water fountain, "You really shouldn't be sleeping here."

  Chiaki yawned, "Sorry, I had to stay up late to make the chocolates. I'm used to cooking games but baking them is a lot different in the real world."

  "It must've taken a while."

  She nodded enthusiastically, "It took me a few tries, but I think I might've gotten better at mixing ingredients. I could probably beat my high score now."

  "That's cool," Hajime paused when he saw the gamer's face, "Hey, what's wrong?"

  Chiaki puffed out her cheeks, "I saw you hugging Mikan earlier."

  "Oh, you did?"

  "That's my spot, she can't take it."

  Hajime huffed, "What do you mean by 'your spot'?

  "It's mine by default."

  "Says who?"

  "Says Ryota," she replied, "He says I'm your heroine, according to anime logic."

  Hajime sighed, "What did of logic is that? There's nothing I need to be saved from. Maybe from geometry, but nothing else."

  The pink-haired girl shook her head, "I looked it up and it's exactly how we happened to meet. I bumped into you and our eyes met; that's why I'm going to win."

  "You didn't even look up at me until a whole minute after," he complained.

  "That's what I like about you, Hajime," Chiaki smiled, "You were kind to me even though I didn't ask first. You stayed when everyone else just moves away."

  Hajime blushed as he looked away, "I mean, I wasn't going to push you away or anything like that... Wait, do you do that to everyone?"

  The girl hummed, "Sometimes when I'm not looking, but I don't have to look if I hear your voice nearby."

  Hajime crossed his arms, "I was right, you are doing it on purpose."

  "I know you'll keep me safe when you're nearby. I believe in you."

  "Don't believe in me, just look where you're going."

  "It's too late, I already trust you," Chiaki got up and stretched, "I think I memorized what I needed to say from that dating game."

  She bowed, "Hajime, please accept these chocolates and eat my feelings."

  "Uh, I'm pretty sure it's 'Please accept my feelings and eat these chocolates'."

  Chiaki tilted her head, "But that's what I just said."

  "You told me to eat your feelings," Hajime explained.

  "Wouldn't it work the same way as accepting?

  He sighed, "I guess so, but still..."

  Chiaki sat down and rested her head on Hajime's shoulder, "I'm sleepy."

  Hajime offered her a sympathetic smile, "Sorry, I guess making those chocolates took a lot out of you."

  "Not really, I just had a bunch of quests to complete after I was done," she explained before closing her eyes, "Do you mind if we stay here for a few minutes?"

  "Knock yourself out, it's Valentine's Day," Hajime paused and turned to her, "Actually, don't do that."

       The pair spent the next five minutes sitting by the empty water fountain in a pleasant silence, listening to the ambient noise of distant student chatter and the occasional rustling of the trees. It was difficult for Hajime to keep himself from fidgeting as he would feel the occasional tickle of a hair on his cheek.

  "Hajime."

  "Yeah?" he tried not to get distracted by the smell of strawberry shampoo.

  "It's fun being by your side like this," Chiaki linked her arm with his, "Don't let me fall, okay?"

  "It's winter, so it's not like there's any water here for you to fall into," Hajime felt his eyes getting a little heavy, "But sure, I'll protect you."