✨Chapter Nineteen-Much Easier

Fred's POV

  The robbery startled all three of us yesterday. Everyone had a hard time sleeping or even doing anything.

  After several rechecking of the entire apartment by Adam, we eventually calmed down. It was discovered that only Adam's special watch was missing.

  He was furious because it was a gift from his mother. I couldn't believe how much the watch must have cost. It was a limited edition diamond watch. I had told him once to sell the watch but he much rather placed mere sentiments as its ultimate worth. Now that much money was gone.

The burglar had tried to break into the room with the black door, the one accessible solely to Adam.

I had tried several times to learn what stood behind that door. Due to my persistence, he eventually told me that the room contained his late mother's belongings and whenever he was down, it helped him feel better as  though she was close; soothing him. So much security for emotional chords! Quite uncanny. I knew better to let him be for now.

It was by that point we had caught the burglar. He had damaged the doorknob and to my ultimate surprise, there was another door with a combination to open it. Why this much security?

  Adam was definitely hiding something from me. Adam was about to nab him when he heard Emily's faint cry. He told me to take care of the burglar while he went to her aid.

Unfortunately, the burglar slipped from my grip and escaped. Adam was furious at me for letting him escape. I on the other hand felt it was pointless keeping the burglar hostage. We had better things to do.

The entire atmosphere was tense and I'm sure none of us slept well. I couldn't help thinking about how I had met Adam throughout the night.

Three years ago, when I was twenty-three years old, I was looking for a job. As fate would have it, I met Adam. We both finished at the same secondary school. Adam finished at the age of sixteen while I finished at the age of eighteen. Adam was a very brilliant student and I remembered how I used to bully him. He never took it to heart though and eventually we became friends.

  He went to a private school while I went to a federal university. Life was hard for me and at the age of twenty-four, I eventually graduated with a third class in Music. I had no idea where I would get a job until I saw Adam. He connected me with some guys he knew I could work with. I write lyrics and they buy them from me. It's not much but it's something.

Some people get everything on a platter of gold while others struggle even for the remnants of the rich.

Unfortunately, I was part of the latter. I was orphaned at the age of seven. All I had was my grandma until she died when I was eighteen. I fended for myself all this while.

You never know the value of what you have until you lose it.

I never treated my grandma well. I was mischievous but she still loved me. She sacrificed a lot for me and I couldn't repay her love. All the earnings from her small business went to my education and feeding. She starved for me, didn't buy her medicines and much more.

All everyone sees is my smile and vibrancy. They don't know the pain behind each smile.

A part of me felt guilty about what I was planning to do but I have to do this. I wish there was a much easier way out.

  After my grandma's death, I got into lots of trouble. I joined a group of people who scrapped the word, "mercy" from their vocabulary. I still owe them a huge sum of money and they don't mind trading my organs in exchange.