chapter thirty-nine

Comenzar desde el principio

Ivy watched as the entire class, except for Liam, Mason, and herself, put their hands up.

"Yes, Hayden."

"It illustrates the concept of quantum superposition. Light is both a particle and wave until it's observed," Hayden answered causing Ivy to look at her best friend with confusion in her eyes.

'How did she know that?' Ivy thought, but then again Hayden was a lot better in science than she was.

Mr. Douglas chuckled, "Yes, excellent answer, very impressive. Does observing something change its behavior? Or alter its outcome? That's the question of today's lab on page 117. Seeing as we have an odd number, break into groups of four and we'll have a group of five."

Without any doubt, Ivy and her friends were the group of five.

"Have any of you guys noticed that phones can't geolocate today?" Mason told the group. And Ivy watched Corey pull his phone out of his pocket, while Liam leaned over the table a bit to look at Mason's phone.

"Looks like it works," Liam pointed out.

"Yeah, but that's not North. That is," Mason stated as he pointed behind him.

"Mine is doing it too," Corey answered.

"Yeah, my phone's the same," Ivy stated, showing her friends her phone.

"That's weird," Hayden commented.

Ivy chuckled, as she noticed that Mason had just come up with an idea.

"Mr. Douglas has a compass," Mason stated, hinting towards a cabinet nearby. Corey turned to look at the cabinet behind him before giving Mason a small smile. Mason nodded.

Ivy smiled, as the group watched Corey place his hand on Ivy's textbook before turning invisible. They watched as the cabinet slowly opened itself up, before closing once more.

Corey becomes visible once more and the group noticed Mr. Douglas's compass on the table. Liam was a bit impressed. Mason grabbed the compass and opened it.

"What are you gonna do with it?" Hayden asked.

"Yeah, I'll like to know the answer to that as well," Ivy added.

"Follow it," Mason simply stated.

"Why am I not surprised?" Ivy chuckled, while Hayden stated, "Seriously?"

"Where do you think it goes?" Corey asked Mason.

"I have no idea. But we won't find out till we open the box."

Both Corey and Ivy shared a look of confusion. Neither of them understood what Mason meant.

Hayden noticed their confused faces, "Schrodinger's cat?"

Corey and Ivy look once more at each other, still confused. They looked over to Liam, for help, but he seemed just as lost as they were.

"I... I still don't get it," Corey stated. "Neither do I," Ivy mentioned.

Mason chuckled, "I'll explain it further to the both of you later."

"Hmmm."

✯☾✯

Ivy couldn't believe that she allowed herself to get dragged by both Mason and Liam to go following the compass. Sure the thought and curiosity of where the compass might lead to crossed her mind. But actually going through with it, didn't.

"I can't believe you two dragged me out here to follow some possibly messed up compass," Ivy commented, as the trio walked.

"Ivy, we both know you're curious as well," Mason mentioned.