xxvii. the promise of a lifetime

ابدأ من البداية

Kamille soon realised Alicia wasn't planning to make a move anytime soon, so she rushed forward, awkwardly clambering over the fallen wooden table and rounding the island before stabbing the infected man in the head. The man slumped to the ground between Alicia and her, leaving the Brit to stare questioningly at the girl who had just come back to reality.

"What the hell, Alicia?" Kamille asked exasperatedly, before sheathing her knife. "Why didn't you do anything?"

Alicia put her own knife away, still dazed as she blinked several times. "I– sorry. I don't know why I did that. I thought– they weren't supposed to be here."

Kamille pressed her lips together, jaw clenching as she studied the girl before her. Any other time and maybe she would have let it slide, but this was just another thing to add to the list of stuff Alicia was acting weird about. Another thing she wouldn't share with Kamille. And Kamille wasn't having it anymore.

"You've got to tell me what's wrong, Alicia," Kamille said lowly, so the others couldn't hear her.

She met Alicia's eyes with stern ones, watching as green eyes darted around the room – anywhere but at her.

"Nothing is wrong," Alicia attempted to reassure. "Come on. We should finish up here. The others will be waiting."

"Screw the others," Kamille retorted, earning Alicia's attention. "You've been acting weird ever since you rescued those kids. Something happened and you won't tell me."

Alicia rolled her eyes. "There's nothing to tell, that's why."

She attempted to walk away, but Kamille grabbed her hand to pull her back, only making her yank it away harshly.

"I said I'm fine," Alicia glowered at her with a terrible attempt at confidence. "Can we be done here now?"

Kamille squeezed her hands together with frustration as she watched Alicia leave the kitchen and walk past a confused Jessie and Mía.

Of course Alicia would bottle it up and hide things from her. Defensive was practically her middle name nowadays – at least to Kamille. No matter what Kamille did or said, she'd never open up to her.

But something was definitely wrong and she couldn't just leave her to fend for herself. If she wouldn't tell her, then so be it.

She'd go to somebody who would.

Morgan was hanging around Grace as she cooked some lunch when Kamille found him back at camp. The two looked quiet cosy as they shared laughter over something private, with Morgan leaning over her and looking into the pan.

Kamille cleared her throat awkwardly, making herself known. When they both stepped away from one another suddenly, Kamille felt like she was intruding and decided to just get straight to the point to avoid any more awkwardness.

"Kamille, hey," Grace greeted with a small smile. "How're you doing? Lunch won't be ready for a while yet."

Kamille returned the smile, still feeling like a third wheel. "I'm good. I'm not here for that. I was actually hoping I could speak with–" She looked to Morgan. "Well, you."

Morgan nodded, though knitted his brows together with confusion. "Sure, 'course. C'mon."

Kamille smiled in Grace's direction before following after Morgan. He led her into his tent – a temporary set up as they stayed put whilst recuperating. They were all still yet to find somewhere permanent, but their new living quarters weren't exactly the worst.