chapter four

Despite her brother’s warnings, Diana did not wake up when May her ladies’ maid called upon her the next morning. Indeed, May tried quite hard to wake her but it seemed that she was far too tired to come to. Unaware of the impending visit from the Prince, May left her mistress to sleep in in order to overcome whatever tiredness had seized her.

This seemingly innocent decision on behalf of the maid had dire consequences for Anthony’s emotional state which completely deteriorated upon hearing that at 11.15 (a quarter of an hour until the Prince’s arrival) Diana had still not yet woken.

He burst through the door and stormed across the room, dramatically opening all of the curtains and thus allowing the blinding midday sun to stream into the room.

Diana, who was still half overcome with sleep, starting complaining angrily but was quickly silenced by Anthony’s declaration that she had better be ready in the next ten minutes.

“Do you have any idea how long it takes to put on a corset brother? I will be ready when I am ready. The Prince can wait.”

Anthony was in no mood for his sister’s ridiculous behaviour and simply stormed out of the room, giving May strict instruction that Diana was to be made ready post haste.

The Prince had been at Bridgerton House for no less than an hour before Diana finally graces him and the rest of the household with her presence.

Anthony could have let it slide were it not for the comment she made upon finally arriving.

“Sorry I was not here to greet you, your highness. My bed was particularly comfortable this morning.” She grinned at him and the Prince, after a moment of shock, chuckled.

“It is quite alright, Miss Bridgerton. I have been getting to know your family, eight siblings - that is quite a few.”

“It certainly makes for hectic meal times.” Diana responded cheekily.

She did not know what was wrong with her. She had a tendency to be stubborn but never quite as impertinent as she was currently being.

She glanced over at Anthony briefly to see a look of horror painted across his features. Thankfully Benedict was trying his best to calm him.

‘Ah Bennie’ Diana thought, ‘Always my saving grace when it comes to Anthony.’

“Diana” interrupted Anthony.

Clearly Benedict’s attempts had been futile.

“Yes brother” despite knowing she would be reprimanded for her behaviour, Di couldn’t help the cheeky tone she used. What was wrong with her today? She was never usually this rebellious?

“I know you have just arrived but perhaps we might have a conversation in private. If the Prince can spare you?” The Viscount tried his best to remain calm although quite frankly he was ready to scream at his sister. Was she not aware that she had the opportunity to become a princess, thus securing her family’s fortune and place in society?!

“Of course, Viscount Bridgerton. Will you be long? I have a gift for the lady.”

Diana looked up at him in surprise. She was about to question him when Anthony interrupted.

“No we will not be long, you highness. Diana.”

No sooner were they out of the sitting room and into Anthony’s study that he begun his chastisement.

“Diana are you a dimwit or do you simply not care about this family’s future?”

Suddenly Diana felt an overwhelming sense of regret and shame.

“What have I done?” she responded anxiously.

“You mean to tell me you are blind to the Prince’s affections?”

“Affections?!” Diana nearly laughed.

Anthony strode over from where he had been looking out of the window, and placed his hands firmly on Diana’s arms.

“Sister, I have reason to believe that the Prince is interested in your company and should like to spend more time getting to know you. That is a sure sign had he is considering you are a potential wife and princess. I know this is a lot to take in, it is usually Daff who I have to have these conversation with, but I plead with you: do not mess this up.”

Diana did not respond but simply hugged her brother tightly and he, after a moment, hugged back, aware of the pressure that had just been placed upon her.

*****

So I got around to updating! Not much has happened here but do stick around because Diana and Friedrich will be getting to know each other over the coming chapters.

How do you think Daphne’s plan to ensnare the Duke will effect Anthony’s hopes of an engagement?