Chapter twenty six - Persuasion

"By my watch it is exactly five fifty-two. You have until twenty-two minutes past six to persuade me of your right to court my sister. Should you fail, I expect you to leave this house immediately. Without a goodbye."

Anthony leant back slightly in his seat, a small grin worming his way onto his face.

The pair were now presently in his study and the Prince was preparing himself to tackle a really rather amused looking Anthony Bridgerton.

Indeed, the viscount was very much enjoying the whole ordeal, especially considering he had already formed a suitable match for his sister with some Lord from Devon. The two were of equal status and the man (who's name presently escaped him) was perfectly adequate.

Nothing the Prince could say would undermine this arrangement.

"You may begin," he remarked casually.

Anthony Bridgerton wasn't entirely certain what he expected from the Prince, but his initially reaction certainly wasn't it.

Instead of grovelling or begging, Friedrich stalked across the room toward one of the windows and glanced out of it, taking in the view of the garden that was afforded from the window.

"I imagine it must be difficult for you, Lord Bridgerton. Knowing that you cannot be with the woman you love," spoke the Prince, still looking out over the garden.

Anthony's head snapped in the man's direction at his none so subtle remark.

"I'm not sure what my private affairs have to do with this, but I should warn you: bringing them up will not help your cause," the viscount replied cooly.

Friedrich nodded and glanced toward the seated viscount, their gaze locked from a moment.

"I am referring to her only for the purposes of helping you to understand the regard I feel for Miss Bridgerton."

"Which one," snorted Anthony.

A brief expression of annoyance passed over the prince's face, although he could not help a small chuckle at the viscount's sarcasm.

"I have always admired your family's loyalty to each other," he began, "and despite what Diana may believe, I know that your actions are born out of love and loyalty to her."

Anthony found himself nodding ever so slightly to the prince's words.

"And I will not deny that I have made a mistake. I did not realise how perfect she was for me, not just for me - for my country too. Your Queen, your society, and even your Whistledown declared her beneath me. And I did stupidly believe them. I was wrong."

To hear a Prince declare that they were mistaken was more than a rarity. To hear a Prince declare that they were mistaken three times within one speech was practically unheard of.

Friedrich was a good man. And he was probably the best man for his sister.

But, whilst it seemed the Prince was quite capable of admitting when he made a mistake, heaven forbid Anthony Bridgerton do the same.

"You were wrong," he mused.

"So were you," quipped back Friedrich.

The viscount gave a sharp chuckle and rose from his seat.

"You know, you're really not doing a very good job of trying to persuade me. I've lost count of how many times you've undermined me in the past ten minutes," whilst his words may have been serious, Anthony found his resolve weakening with every word.

Perhaps the Prince was not so bad after all.

"Yes, I think perhaps you are right," agreed Friedrich. "However I am not too afraid of that. You may be the head of your family and a respectable member of society, but I am a Prince. Tell me..."

He leaned in closer before continuing.

"... will you still deny me if I return to England in two months time with the entire Prussian army behind me. I do not imagine the people of my country will be best pleased to hear that their future Queen is being kept from me."

His words had shrunk to a whisper and Anthony knew the battle was lost.

"Are you blackmailing me, you highness?" He inquired.

"Yes."

The viscount merely sighed in response before banging his head against the wall beside which he was standing.

"Welcome to the family then."

****

Dearest readers,

My sincerest apologies for not having updated in a while - I was on half term and took the opportunity to do some other things, but now that I am back to school I'll probably return to updating daily.

Also, I really want to have this story completed by the time I properly return to school on March 8 otherwise I assume that updates will lag, we shall have to see.

Anyway, I do hope you are all well and have been making the most of any time you may or may not have had off!

I didn't realise how short this chapter was - sorry about that but I do promise they'll return to their longer length as I get back into the flow of writing again!

Yours truly
Valentina