Chapter twenty - home

Her final days in Greece passed within the blink of an eye and suddenly Diana Bridgerton was back on at sea and destined for London, England

Although this time her group of companions had significantly increased.

Juno had written home prior to request that she might be able to stay on the continent a little longer - she had become rather well acquainted with Prince Hektor's cousin, Lord Amos Greene, and all parties were most interested in pursuing the match.

However, Diana's spirits were not greatly dampened as Friedrich was to be joining herself, Teddy, Augustus, and even Princess Hestia who was to be accompanying them as far as the Rock of Gibraltar.

Indeed, they were a very merry party.

After leaving Hestia, Diana found herself spending more and more time within the four walls of her cabin. This was not to say that she did not enjoy the company of the three boys, only that it often became overbearing and that she wanted some time to consider what she had learnt during her travels.

In fact, she spent so much time cooped up that she did not realise how close they were to England until Augustus' head popped through the door saying they were only a day away.

She was about to ignore him entirely when a thought came to mind.

"Augustus?" She called after him.

"Yes?"

Diana paused as he re-entered the room, hovering by the door.

"What are you going to do when we get to England?"

Augustus sighed at her question, it was clear that this weighed heavy on his mind. She had seen over the past months how his love for Teddy had grown and grown, but he could not return to England.

"I don't know," he answered honestly. "Teddy wants to go home, to visit his family. But if I made any attempt to join him then he'd be exiled and I'd be sent to prison."

Diana began to feel his pain. She had entirely forgotten about how his kind were treated in England. Across the continent it was far more acceptable, that was why Augustus had journeyed there after being banished from his homeland.

"You know," she began, "I think Teddy quite likes you. In fact, I'm not sure he wouldn't consider returning to you once I am safely settled back at Bridgerton House."

Augustus' eyes widened and his mouth fell slightly agape.

"Do you- do you really think he would?"

Diana smiled at the boy's hopelessness. He was truly in love with her cousin.

She rose from her seat and strode across the room to her companion before embracing him in a tight hug as she whispered

"I know it. You need only ask."

"I'm glad we met, Diana Bridgerton. And I hope you get your Prince in the end, god knows you deserve it," he whispered back, tightening the hug when she tried to pull away.

Noticing his action, she grinned to herself. They had come a long way since that night in Rome.

Their embrace might have continued indefinitely had a knock not broken the moment.

"Miss Bridgerton?"

Augustus raised an eyebrow at the girl in question.

"Your Prince is personally visiting your chambers? Alone? I had no idea you were such a vixen!"

"Shut up!" She whispered aggressively and she swatted him over the head. "Come in!" Came a much warmer tone. Diana Bridgerton had long ago mastered the art of concealing the beating up of her siblings - of which she now classified Augustus.

"I was wondering if you would like to-"

Friedrich cut himself off when he laid eyes on Augustus, clearly a little confused as to why they might be alone in her room.

The whole debarkle was rather scandalous.

"Augustus was just leaving, he came to ask me about fashion advice. He is, after all, entirely useless when it comes to such matters."

That was, of course, an absolute lie. Augustus Montagu was one of the most fashionable men on the continent.

Regardless, Diana still got what she wanted. The Montagu lord departed, muttering something about getting a new cloak, and Diana was left alone with the Prince.

"Sorry, what was it you wanted to ask?"

Friedrich looked around awkwardly. They had not been alone in each other's company since that day in the gardens - the very day of his arrival - and, having spent many sleepless nights running and rerunning the events of that day, his feelings were in a state of perpetual turmoil.

This made him rather bad conversation as he was prone to stuttering and breaking off mid sentence.

Not very princely.

"I-I, I was - only I thought - I thought that maybe - maybe - maybe you and I might - when we arrive - that we might..." here he broke off and looked at her expectantly.

Diana had a hard time suppressing a laugh.

"That we might...?" She questioned, hoping to provoke an actual statement from him.

"That we - that we - I only wanted - that we - I -"

Once again, Friedrich ended his sentence hanging said absolutely nothing.

He had been like this for nearly a week now and Diana was getting a little confused.

Why on earth was he acting so strange?

Without another word, the Prince turned and - rather inelegantly - stumbled out of the room leaving a dumbfounded Diana stood peering after him.

He had never been so embarrassed in his life.

***

Dearest readers,

It would seem that our poor Prince is coming down with some kind of ailment... could it be lovesickness?

Whatever it is, I do hope there is a cure. And I hope he finds it fast.

After all, Miss Diana Bridgerton is a most worthy young lady and I'm sure there will be many young men vying for her affections.

Indeed, the road ahead looks to be a difficult one for our young lovers. Emotions are a rather peculiar thing, I do believe.

Till then.

Yours truly,
Valentina Riviera