Chapter twenty one - A gaggle of Bridgertons

"Diana!" Came a loud screech from inside Bridgerton House as her carriage rolled into the street outside.

The girl in question shot a brief 'Lord help me' glance toward Theodore who was sat opposite her, then descended from the carriage, bracing herself for the gaggle of Bridgertons awaiting her.

"Diana! I have so much to tell you-" began Benedict with a grin.

"Yes well it's not half as important as my new-" interrupted Eloise.

"I have to tell you all about Bath!"

Francesca was on the verge of speaking again when she was cut off but Hyacinth and Gregory running down the steps.

"Diana!"

"You're home at last!"

"Oh Diana, I was nearly married it was quite an ordeal - but don't mention it in front of mother!" Whispered Colin from beside her. Their mother, however, overheard his statement and shot him a warning glance.

She was still quite horrified over the whole affair.

"It's good to have you home," added Anthony who had been talking with Teddy. The two were old fitness and Diana was delighted to see the smile that his presence brought to her brother's face.

"I trust you'll tell us all about you travels-"

"I heard you met another Prince?"

"Was he handsome?" Dianna blushed at this comment. She knew it was referring to Prince Hektor but she could not help her wandering mind which planted images of Prince Friedrich.

"I'm unmasking Lady Whistledown!" Shrieked Eloise over the rest of the noise.

At her comment, the entire family turned to look at her with a mixture of horror and surprize.

"Would you like some tea, my love?" Spoke their mother, although it was really more of a demand than a suggestion.

Once the entire entourage had collected itself in the blue reception room, Diana began asking them all questions about the summer season.

She was - to some extent - surprized to hear of Daphne's marriage to the Duke of Hastings. However, Anthony promised to explain the whole ordeal to her in full later that evening, so she would not have to wait long to receive a full (and entirely honest) account from him.

"What was Greece like, Di?" Asked Colin with a grin. "You have to tell me everything."

"Well," she began, "the continent is simply marvellous! Everyone is so kind. And yes, we did meet a Prince - Prince Hektor - and we stayed in his palace whilst we were in Athens. I'm sure you've heard that Juno is-"

She was cut off before she could complete the sentence.

"You stayed in the royal palace!" Asked their mother with a gasp.

"She really does have a way of attracting forge in princes doesn't she," remarked Benedict to Eloise, causing a series of giggled to emerge from the sofa on which they were seated.

"How on earth did you end up there?" Continued Lady Bridgerton, ignoring her son's comment.

Diana was about to explain Augustus' role in bringing around the arrangement, however she promptly recalled how ill thought of he was across London.

"An acquaintance is Rome wrote to him asking if we might visit and he seemed quite happy to oblige," came her carefully chosen response.

"And what was he like?" Questioned Francesca.

"Was he handsome?"

"She's already got one Prince, I don't see why she needs another," spoke Benedict again. He really was on a roll with witty remarks today. Anthony was almost impressed.

"Will everyone please calm down?" he demanded. "I'm sure Diana does not wished to be swamped in questions by you all. And as for the Prussian Prince - I have already warned you about mentioning him under this roof!" His tone had turned cold and authoritative, leaving Diana to question what it was that had occurred between the two.

Why on earth should her brother despise him so?

And more importantly, what would this mean for their friendship?

Their question and answering session was cut off at last by a sharp knock at the door. Diana was intrigued as to who could possibly be visiting so late. Glancing at the clock she read the time to be eight forty five, indeed it was far beyond the usual calling time.

When Prince Friedrich stepped into the room a series of gasps escaped, especially from the younger Bridgertons.

It would seem that London society had not heard of his plans to return to England for a while.

"Viscount Bridgerton, you will excuse me for calling on you and your family so late?"

Anthony visibly stiffened - not having forgotten the tears on Diana's face as she cried into his chest. He did not trust the Prince not to make the same mistake again.

Friedrich turned and smiled courteously at her.

"I wanted to make sure that Miss Bridgerton had made it home safely."

Diana blushed lightly at his comment and she could see Hyacinth's gaze flicking rapidly between the pair. In that moment she had never looked quite so much like their mother before.

"Well, as you can see, she is quite comfortable and very happy to have returned to her family. Will that be all?" Questioned Anthony firmly.

Anger seemed radiate off him and the Prince was quick to see so.

"Yes, Lord Bridgerton, that was all. Although perhaps the lady might be so kind as to join me on a walk tomorrow morning. Would nine o'clock be suitable?"

He directed the last part at Diana herself, leaving no room for Anthony's personal feelings on the matter.

"Yes, I should like that very much," she replied courteously, hiding her delight at his suggestion.

He gave her a broad grin, nodded politely at Anthony and Violet, offered Hyacinth a chocolate (which she eagerly accepted) and departed the room with a sense of elegance and power that Diana had come to recognise in him.

No sooner had he left the house than Anthony turned to her with a glare and beckoned for her to follow him.

Gulping, she obliged.

***

Dearest readers,

Isn't Friedrich sweet?

Sorry this is posted slightly later than usual, I had an English exam and EPQ practice presentation so I've had a horrifically hectic day.

Although it was made better by the fact that me and my best friend watch Spider-Man together (the Andrew Garfield version because his interpretation is just elite).

Anyway, it would seem that Diana has finally returned back home to Bridgerton House! I cannot wait to have her interacting with them all again.

Yours &c.
Valentina