chapter three

Back at Bridgerton House, Daphne and Diana were slowly getting ready for bed and discussing the events of the evening. Diana desperately wanted to ask her sister about the Duke of Hastings but refrained as best she could, knowing that Daphne herself was most likely confused in her feelings toward the man.

“I saw you dancing with Lord Heart and the Earl of Marlborough’s son” commented Daphne as she began unplaiting her sister’s hair.

“Yes, they were both very nice although I must say I found them a little boring. I asked both of them who their favourite author was - hardly a difficult question - and neither or them could answer! I began to question if they had ever read a book in their life!”

Daphne merely chuckled in response, trying her best to untangle a knot.

“Indeed, I found myself in rather a similar situation. Not a single man who I danced with was able to hold a proper conversation with me!”

“Except for the Duke?” Diana turned to her sister, attempting to gage her reaction.

“You know of our plan, Di. You know that he would never propose to me.”

Diana felt saddened by the hint of hurt in Daphne’s voice. She hugged her playfully and they fell back onto the bed.

“Well that is his loss. And I promise you that, should you say the words, I would do everything in my power to prove your worthiness to him.” Although her tone was lighthearted, Daphne knew Diana was absolutely serious in what she said.

“There will be no need for that. I’m sure I will find that perfect suitor.” She paused in thought. “The Prince is not so bad looking is he?”

Diana - who was now removing the pins from Daphne’s hair - responded perhaps a little too quickly.

“I did not notice, however his conversation was pleasing. We spent a good while discussing Russian literature until - until - well, until I poured wine all over him!” She chuckled at the memory and her cheeks flushed to a colour not far from the wine itself.

“We must have made a terrible impression! Poor Anthony, he must have been beside himself.” Daphne joined in with Diana’s laughter.

After a moment the two regained their comprise and Diana became filled with remorse at how she had embarrassed the Bridgerton name.

“Indeed, I shall have to speak to him tomorrow and apologise.”

“You always did have the best relationship with him” Daphne’s voice bordered on jealous.

“Well, we are very similar. Anyway, I shall bid you goodnight.”

Diana placed a gentle kiss on Daphne’s cheek and left the room as Daphne responded with a quiet “goodnight.”

She had not made it halfway down the corridor when she spotted Benedict’s open door. The Bridgerton boy was sat sketching on his bed and looked up when she knocked on the door.

“Goodnight Benedict, do not stay up too late” she chimes softly.

“Diana! Goodnight! Perhaps you might sit for me tomorrow so that I could sketch you?” He had wanted to draw her for some time now as Benedict knew the eldest Bridgerton girl was quite good at sitting still for long periods.

“Of course, brother. Perhaps in the afternoon?”

“That sounds lovely, Di. Oh, will you leave the door open when you go?” He asked, as she made her way over to him.

“Absolutely.” She kissed him on the cheek, as she had done with Daphne and then exited.

Turning onto the section of the landing which led to the staircase leading to the fourth floor, Diana bumped into Colin. He was still dressed from the evening.

“Colin! You have not yet changed?”

Colin looked at her tiredly, “No, I was stuck speaking to Anthony for the past hour.”

Diana chuckled, “I shall not keep you then. Goodnight Colin!”

She hugged him for a moment before smiling and bounding up the stairs content that she would most likely not end up chastised by -

“Anthony! I though you were in your study!” Diana gulped, she wanted to go to bed and knew that a telling off from Viscount Bridgerton (he was always the Viscount when it came to scolding his siblings) could last for some time.

“Yes” Anthony had a small smirk on his face, “I imagine you did. Nonetheless here I am.”

He paused for a moment and looked thoughtful.

“Now tell me, sister. How was your evening? The buffet was very good especially, I hear, the wine?”

Diana knew she had been found out and but her lip in a struggle to keep herself from becoming filled with mirth.

“It was an accident Anthony, I promise!”

“Well whatever it was it seems to have worked. The Prince has asked if he might join us for luncheon tomorrow and I have accepted.”

Diana looked at him in absolute shock. How was she to appear before the Prince so soon after her embarrassment? Surely he must have come to see Daphne? Yes. That was it.

“I am sure he has only come to see Daphne. She is the season’s diamond after all” Diana responded courteously.

Anthony shook his head and embraced her.

“She may be a diamond but do not forget that Lady Whistledown still thinks you a Pearl. And I always thought pearls to be an absolute symbol of accomplishment, taste and beauty. Do not sound your own worth sister.”

Diana smiled into the hug. Anthony had always been her closest sibling and she felt honoured that he viewed her so highly. To others he may have seemed something of a rake, but to her he was the greatest viscount there could ever be.

“Now, to bed.  Do not want you to still be half asleep when the Prince arrives tomorrow.”

‘I do not think he is coming to see me’ Diana thought.

She could not have been more wrong.

*****

I know it's slow moving but it should pick up speed soon. Also, I really like exploring Diana's relationships with her siblings.

Are there any particular Bridgerton siblings that you think Di would be close with?