The paramedics came inside, looking after Jasmin. "How do you feel?" they asked.

"I feel okay."

"What did you take?"

"It was this," I said, giving them the empty bottle. "It belongs to my brother. He lives with us."

"How many did you take?"

"61."

That hit me hard. My heart sank. I couldn't believe she took 61 pills. The realization she was counting them as she took them was like taking a gut punch and I couldn't breathe.

They continued to ask her questions and once again I'm wondering how this happened. More importantly, why would she do this to herself? Was it because I wasn't around enough? I always tried to be, especially when she was younger. Always there for school events, the dance classes and everything else she wanted. Well at least until she reached high-school and began to get distant.

I didn't think much of it. She was a teenager. Teenagers get distant from their parents. That's what they do. Last I knew she was doing well in school. Her grades were good. She was on the softball team. She was even going to the same school with her best friend since elementary school.

Honestly I was a little relieved to be given my own time. I had time to go out, meet people, socialize and even date. How selfish of me! If only I was around I could have seen this coming. Maybe I could have prevented this. Instead of going through this, we could be eating pizza and watching a Disney movie like when she was younger. I would do anything to return to those days. I would give up anything for my little girl's happiness.

One of the paramedics came up to me while the other took my daughter to the ambulance. "We're going to take her to the hospital. Do you have your own vehicle to follow?"

"Yes I do," I said, walking outside and keeping my sights on Jasmin, her fear as the paramedic strapped her in the gurney. "Is she going to be alright?" I asked, approaching her.

"She seems okay now, but we need to hurry and take her to the hospital," he said, closing the doors to the ambulance.

"Don't worry honey," I yelled through the doors. "I'll be following right behind you!"

"Alex! What's going on?" yelled my brother who pulled up in his car.

I quickly got in his car. "Jasmin's sick. Follow them."

The ambulance drove off and my brother followed. "What happened?" he asked.

At first, I didn't want to tell him, but after I thought about it, there was no reason in keeping it from him. "She tried to kill herself," I said, my voice horse.

"My God," he said. It looked like he wanted to say something else, but couldn't come up with the words and chose to stay silent.

While following them, my mind returned to her face, the moment she told me she did something stupid. I went through my mind wondering what brought her to this. Was it something at school, bullying or maybe boy problems? I don't know and that's the issue. I wasn't around enough and that is exactly the problem.

My head went back to a similar night when I picked up Jasmin from softball practice. I could see she was lost in thought.

"How was your day?" I asked her.

"It was okay," she said, not showing me any interest.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Huh." She looked at me. "Nothing important. A movie we saw recently."