Chapter 15

Song: Blood In The Cut by K.Flay

"Hold on now, students! I must ask you to clean up your desks before leaving," Professor McGonagall's voice rings throughout the classroom

I look down at mine and Hermione's desk which is full of feathers thanks to Seamus waving his wand like an idiot. We were trying to make a plain, white feather transform from one end of our desks to the other, but Seamus pointed his wand towards our desk and ended up multiplying our feather, making hundreds. I'm still unsure how he managed to do it; he usually only blows things up or sets them on fire, so, I guess for him, it's a slight improvement.

Hermione and I both grumble irritably as we try to clean them off the desks.

"I'll be late for Charms thanks to him," Hermione says as she starts to levitate some of the feathers into a nearby wastebasket. I've been just trying to scoop them up in my arms, and I mentally curse myself for not thinking of doing that. Sometimes I forget we can freely use magic at school.

For the most part, that is.

"It's been five years, and he still can't control his wand," I say, now attempting to levitate the feathers into the wastebasket like her. It takes me a bit since I haven't used this spell much since our first year.

Just then, Luna approaches our desk with a gentle smile. She swishes her wand with whimsical grace at the remaining feathers as she says, "Evanesco."

The remaining feathers all disappear from our sight. I'm taken aback at how well the vanishing spell worked; having only seen Professor McGonagall use it once in class while demonstrating. We haven't even fully learned it yet, and Luna somehow has mastered it.

I smile brightly at her. "Thank you, Luna! How ever did you master that?" Her soft gaze meets mine.

Hermione groans and says, "why didn't I think of that—urgh!—thank you, Luna."

To be honest, I'm quite surprised she didn't think of it either. She is afterall, the brightest witch of our year. Then again, her mind must be full of many things, so it's understandable that she wouldn't think of it right away.

"After Professor McGonagall demonstrated it to us last week, I've found myself practising it every day. Specifically on a pinecone. This was the first time it's worked for me." I nod along, impressed at her desire to learn such a difficult spell; the noted Ravenclaw trait shining brightly within her.

"As much as I would love to stay and chat more, I must get going. See you both later," Hermione says quickly, her arms full with her books and things as she rushes out of the classroom.

Luna and I both wave, knowing we'd be seeing her for the D.A. meeting tonight.

I turn back towards Luna who appears to be in a sort of daze: a habit that she does quite often.