41. Starless Sky

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Of course. We couldn't have rings, but we never strayed." said Makaya, kissing her child's sweet forehead.

"How tragic," said Mrs. Gartner. Makaya looked at her in confusion. "I just... Well, what do you think about Greek mythology?" Mrs. Gartner asked.

"Never got the chance to study it." said Makaya, shrugging.

"Well, can I tell you a story?" Mrs. Gartner asked. Makaya nodded. "The adventurer Odysseus was warned that as he journeyed the seas, he would encounter creatures called sirens. They sang an irresistible melody that would cause seafarers to fall into the sea, never to be seen again. Odysseus was the only one to hear their songs and survive. He had his sailors tie him to the mast with rope, and commanded that they never let him go, no matter how much he begged."

"Nifty." said Makaya, unsure of why she was being told this.

"Isn't it?" Mrs. Garner asked. "I'm very sorry, honey." She pulled earplugs out of her pocket and put them on. "I didn't bring any rope."

"What?" Makaya asked. Fear rushed through her body as she realized what was happening. Mrs. Gartner exited the balcony and shut the gate behind her, trapping Makaya.

From somewhere, Makaya could hear music play for the other passengers of the ship.

Never saw the sun shining so bright.

Fitzgerald. It was their song. Tears fell down Makaya's cheeks as she looked across the empty balcony, and the ugly painted words, "colored persons only". It made her sick, and more than that, humiliated. As she began to emit ugly, heaving sobs, she realized that she had no dignity left.

Never saw things going so right.

The song was coming from a new place. The waves were calling to her. Singing about a life with James if he had stayed. Her mind was gone, dancing under the stars with the love of her life. When her consciousness returned, she was standing on the other side of the railing, her dirty dress flying in the sea-breeze.

Noticing the days hurrying by.

The ocean begged Makaya to join her in the waves. Beneath the sea foam, she thought she could see James. She thought she could see him smile, like he was there the whole time. Makaya's hand uncurled, and she began her descent to the sea forever.

When you're in love, my how they fly.

Halfway through descent, Makaya screamed with horror. She had never let go of her baby.

Blue days,

Makaya screamed, not for her life, but for her child's. Desperate bubbles flew to the surface, but hands pushed her down. Sirens, with their cruel, beautiful faces, pushed her deeper into the blue abyss. Makaya fought as hard as she could to make it back to the sky, but even the sky held no hope for her.

All of them gone.

There were no stars in the sky. Not like that night with James. It was starless. Hopeless. This was where her life would end, with Jamie. With no choice, no power, no control, nothing. She would disappear. No one would miss her.

From now on.

Agent Matthews looked at Makaya with a mixture of horror and awe. Never before had a Forbidden gotten control over their death. Makaya would be the first. This was her story, and she had made sure of it. Her life was going to end, and it was going to be her call.

One of the Agent Thompsons walked over to the security booth and shut off the music player. Ella's song went mute as the gate slid open, welcoming several black vehicles inside. Death descended upon the town of Atalka, with the steady hum of engines as its score.

"I have everything I want," said Makaya. "It's time." Only Agent Matthews and the two Thompson agents remained.

"The way to kill a siren is simple. She must sing for him, and he must live to tell the tale." said Agent Matthews.

Makaya laughed. "I've sung for several, and they have lived, whether they remember it or not."

"You need to be vulnerable," said Agent Matthews. "Something tells me you're not familiar with that."

"Vulnerability got me killed," said Makaya.

"All you need to do is sing for me. Release everything. At your most vulnerable, I'll shoot. I'll live, and you'll stay dead." Agent Matthews explained. "Of course, that's what you want, isn't it?"

"Backing out, Agent Matthews?" Makaya asked. "Because I came prepared for that. You will end my life, and it will be my choice."

"What makes you think I'll follow through on a promise made to a Forbidden?" Agent Matthews asked, his voice venomous.

"Agents. So predictable." said Makaya.

"You're not bound by a promise made to one of those creatures." said Agent Thompson, his voice gruff. "Tie her up, and we can put her with the others. She doesn't have to win."

Makaya smiled. She had planned for this. It had taken a lot of careful thought, but it was finally paying off. Agent Matthews wasn't going to keep his dignity. She was. She had made sure that he would kill her tonight.

"I never saw the sun shining so bright, never saw things going oh-so right. Noticing the days hurrying by, when you're in love, my how they fly." Makaya sang, thoughts of James, Mrs. Gartner, and Jamie filling her voice.

Nothing was able to heal Makaya's scars. Not even taking lives through Jane-Anne. The only way for her to heal was to die anew, this time with all the cards in her hand. Then, finally, she would see Jamie. After almost a century of waiting, she would see her baby boy at last.

Every emotion she had hidden behind a smile was finally visible, and even Agent Matthews couldn't ignore the pang in his heart. Still, a wicked grin spread across his face as he emptied the bullets from his gun. They clinked against the pavement, each small projectile delivering a devastating blow to Makaya's plan.

"Brandon Matthews." said Makaya, making a small tsk sound. "You're gonna regret you did that."

Agent Matthews didn't say anything. He wordlessly nodded to Agent Thompson, who approached Makaya with handcuffs.

"Wait!" Makaya called. Her voice held enough power to make everyone stop in their tracks. "Brandon Matthews, I killed your daughter." She smirked as horror filled Agent Matthews's face.

"That's right." Makaya continued. "It was easy, honestly. I can't believe you didn't notice that your daughter's been acting differently. You know, deep down, something about her changed. I'd check her right wrist for a Forbidden brand if I were you."

"Blue days, all of them gone. Nothing but blue skies, from now on." Makaya sang, her soul once again on display. In a flash, Agent Matthews snatched a gun from Agent Thompson's waistband. Before he could be stopped, Agent Matthews had pulled the trigger.

Bang.

A/N: So we finally know the full truth

A/N: So we finally know the full truth. As twisted as it is, it looks like Makaya got what she wanted. I'm not going to lie, this is actually my favorite chapter in the book. It was just so fun to write, has a different tone from the rest of the book. Makaya may be gone, but the Agency is now heading for Atalka!

QOTD: What do you think about Makaya now?