"Daddy's coming soon." Makaya promised softly to the infant bundled in her arms. Little Jamie had his father's eyes, and a gorgeous hue that echoed his father's pale complexion and his mother's dark pearly skin. Jamie cooed back.

As Makaya walked behind Mrs. Gartner, she tried to make herself taller. It wasn't enough to make her feel like she belonged, but at least it salvaged the little dignity she had left. Dignity was hard to come by when people would spit on her for walking with James in the street.

"Come on, girl." Mrs. Gartner snapped. Makaya had wanted nothing more than to become Mrs. James Gartner herself, but the Gartner name had lost its enchantment. Mrs. Gartner was cruel, and her son wasn't even here.

"I promise I'll keep you safe, Jamie." Makaya whispered to her baby. "I'm never letting you go."

A worker helped Mrs. Gartner carry her suitcase, and she walked onto the ship empty handed. Makaya struggled to carry both her luggage and her child safely, but no one cared.

Mrs. Gartner had gotten her own suite. For Makaya, The crew members had cleared out a closet and hastily placed a cot inside. There was barely any space, and no crib to be seen. Someone had painted "coloreds only" on the door, just in case an innocent white passenger wandered too far. Makaya rolled her eyes, but the carrier was moving further and further from the shore, cementing her fate. She would be here for a while.

Makaya set the suitcase down in her room, if she could even call it that. Her baby fell asleep with the rocking of the waves, and Makaya watched him, a gentle content in her soul. Despite everything, she had Jamie. This was all she needed. Maybe this was what love was supposed to be.

There was a knock on the door. Makaya bundled Jamie safely into her arms before answering. When she opened the creaky door, she was surprised to find Mrs. Gartner.

"Come to the balcony with me." Mrs. Gartner had carefully placed her platinum blonde hair into pin curls, and had tucked it in a white hat with a thin brim. Her blue pinstriped dress stopped short of her ankles, and a belt cinched it at her waist. The innocent look in her hazel gaze felt genuine, and Makaya trusted it. She was still recovering from James' betrayal, but it looked like Mrs. Gartner was too. James had left both of them.

Makaya nodded humbly, and stood up. She slowly walked to the railing, watching the waves.

"I thought he would come," said Mrs. Gartner, lighting a cigarette. She didn't bother to look at Jamie, who was still peacefully sleeping.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Gartner." said Makaya, her shy voice barely audible.

"Speak up, girl." Mrs. Gartner commanded.

"Yes, Miss." Makaya obeyed.

"I see why he wanted you." Mrs. Gartner continued. "You might be beautiful if you weren't so dark."

James had never looked at her that way. When they danced under the stars to that Fitzgerald song, he wasn't focused on the way his pale hands sharply contrasted hers. His eyes were always locked in hers. He was in love. Or so she had thought.

"Why would you cut him off?" Makaya asked, a hint of bravery shining though. "If it was just love, why would you punish him for it?"

Mrs. Gartner laughed. "Honey, he didn't feel any love for you. No one of his stature will ever love someone like you. He had lust." She took a drag of her cigarette. "If it was really love, he would be here, don't you think?"

Makaya looked down at Jamie to quell the sadness in her heart. It worked miraculously well. "He's still here in a way. Through his son."

"So that's really his." said Mrs. Gartner, looking at the baby. She sounded disappointed.