Nothing's Changed

Start from the beginning

"Why?" the heir questioned, "Don't you think it's suspicious that I befriended you?"

"Aren't you suspicious that I, a civilian born child, befriended you, a shinobi clan heir?"

"But you're different. You're Sakura – so – called "genius" of our generation."

"And you're Ino – the future Torture and Interrogation Force Head."

Ino giggled, "Head? That's quite a stretch. I think Yamanaka Clan Head seems more believable."

"That's boring. You becoming clan head is a sure thing already. But becoming the T&I head?" Sakura chuckled, "That's a big slap in the face to every person who has doubted you."

Ino looked at the pinkette with a reserved intensity. She carefully looked at the emerald orbs that were staring down at her. The girl stood up and moved herself in front of the pinkette, "Someday, I'll prove myself to everyone that I am more than what they just say. And... I'll prove myself to you that you weren't wrong in befriending me. I'll prove to you that no matter what happens, I deserve to walk beside you and nothing will change."

Sakura tilted her head, "Why would anything change?"

The Yamanaka sighed, "You're so dumb sometimes, forehead."

---

Ino huffed as she looked at the pinkette in front of her. She decided to ignore the sharp kunai pointed to her neck in favor of smiling at her best friend, "To be honest, this wasn't my best performance," she referred to how her Shintenshin no Jutsu was easily broken by her counterpart, "But in a scale of one to ten, how'd I do?" she tried to balance herself as much as she can from her kneeling position.

Sakura raised a brow in confusion. Her emerald eyes looked at the blonde's injured and bruised body. There were numerous gashes on her, her bruises were likely to last for a few weeks, and the blonde's carefully taken care of physique was bloody and scratched. But the ocean blue orbs that stared back was nonetheless mesmerizing. The eyes held none of the tired aura her body seemed to give off the eyes held defiance and a hidden strength beneath them.

The pinkette smiled as she licked her dry lips, "A perfect ten, Ino. You did well."

Ino pouted, "I'm bruised, battered, and I even cut off my hair for you, and that's all you can say?" she chuckled, "Was I good enough to be the best friend of the great prodigy though?"

"I don't know, I'll ask her when I see her. I'm just plain, old Sakura."

Ino sighed in defeat as she raised an arm, "I, Yamanaka Ino, forfeit this match." She locked gazes with the pinkette once more. She thought back to the countless harsh words that she heard about her, 'I'm still worthy of being your friend, right? Nothing's changed, right, Sakura?'

Hayate's final call fell onto deaf ears as Sakura helped Ino towards the medic waiting for them near the exit, "You don't have to prove yourself to other people. You're good enough for me, you dumb pig." Sakura whispered.

"I don't know what you mean, forehead." She whispered back.

"Nothing's going to change, stop acting like it will." The pinkette huffed in amusement.

X

Uchiha Sasuke versus Akado Yoroi

Winner: Uchiha Sasuke

Abumi Zaku versus Aburame Shino