chapter three

Harry was released from the hospital wing shortly after, and began the slow process of getting caught up with his classes. He spent most of his free time talking to Draco, who helped him study.

Harry said his memories coming back to him probably happened because the caster of the spell died, and almost everyone thought that was an acceptable answer.

"Before I left the Dursely's for good," Harry told Draco one evening while walking with him, "my Aunt Petunia told me something very interesting. I haven't told you about her, and I doubt you heard it from the Weasleys or Hermione, but she's never liked me much. She didn't talk to me almost the entire day before I left. Not a word until she met me in the driveway. She said to me one thing, which was an angry, 'You're exactly like her.' Refering to Lily, you know. And it was quite a change of pace, actually. I'm used to people comparing me to James. It's was rather refreshing."

That was the conversation that Draco began noticing something was... off.

Don't get him wrong, he was as happy as the next guy that Harry was back, but Harry just... wasn't himself anymore. It was like someone had taken the shell of Harry, gotten his memories, and was pretending to be him. Like a shadow of Harry, Draco would think.

For instance, Harry's memory was substantially better. It was like he could recall everything. Draco had no doubt that if he asked Harry for memories of him as a toddler, he'd be able to recount hem in perfect detail. Such availability to memory was not something Harry had had before.

And then the way that he spoke of Hermione and the Wealsy's— like he felt nothing for the death of Fred and Hermione. Like he never really knew them, you know? Or cared for them. It was like he was talking about the death of TV characters, not real people, and even calling it that was a stretch.

Draco also noted the way that Harry called his parents James and Lily, never mom and dad. Harry had never been one to do that before, and Draco found it strange that it was all he did now.

Harry's speak patterns and mannerisms were slightly off (for no one could perfectly mirror someone else's subconscious movements to a T), but this change was so small, Draco himself hardly noticed it.

The most jolting thing was that Harry was overwhelmingly happy now. After the war, he walked around with a black cloud surrounding him, never smiling, an air of survivor's guilt hanging heavy. It hurt Draco's heart to watch as Harry went through life sleepwalking, his mind in a daze of dissociation. Not being able to remember everything changed that drastically, as there was no war he went through to be depressed over. Draco had expected that once his memories returned, the black cloud would return. But it didn't. Harry was happy. Draco couldn't deny he was overjoyed that his boyfriend (oh, how lovely it was to be able to call him that) wasn't depressed anymore, but the drastic change was another odd added to the list.

To Draco, Harry was decidedly different. But when he talked about it, no one ever sympathized with his feelings. To everyone else, this Harry was exactly like the one before.

Draco didn't understand it.

Of course, Draco wasn't the only one to think Harry was different, there was Luna Lovegood. After her statement at the hospital wing, she had been thoroughly avoiding Harry. And, as Draco spent most of his time with Harry, she'd been avoiding Draco, too.

Draco reminded himself to be grateful; Harry was here, Harry had his memories, and Harry had chosen him. He had the best boyfriend in the world (he voiced as such several times.)

But behind the fluffy moments they shared, Draco could always feel the growing suspicion under his skin. One of these days, he decided, he would have a talk with Luna.

¶∆¶

Life sipped on their tea (it was actually void as a liquid, but it was always easier to explain to humans as tea). Harry sat beside them, also drinking void, as they both watched events happen on Earth. Harry did not like how Jackson had taken over his body, and Life didn't either. Harry thought that how quickly Draco became suspicious was cute, though. Even though the real Draco and Harry weren't boyfriends, Harry still cared for him and admired his abilities greatly.

"Terrible things are going to happen, Harry," Life said solemnly. "Voldemort will return very soon. Jackson will be the cause. Terrible, terrible things, Harry."

Harry frowned at this. "Is there a way you can stop it?"

"There is a possibility, but I cannot do it alone," Life told Harry, "I do not want the events that will to transpire to occur. If we kick Jackson and Voldemort out of your body, then all will be well."

"Why don't you do that, then?" Harry asked. "Why are you sitting here, drinking tea instead of doing something?"

"It is not in my reign of capabilities," Life explained, refilling their mug. "However, it has recently hit me that one of my sisters may be able to do so. Perhaps she'll return your body to you."

"Why would she? Help me, I mean."

"Because us Gods care deeply for humanity and by ridding ourselves of that dark art pest, we will be helping out not just you but humanity as a whole," Life said, taking a deep sip of their cup. They sat up from their chair (that was both a chair and not a chair.)

"Before you go," Harry asked, "can you tell me who your siblings are? And who you're going to visit?"

"I am one of five Gods, all of us are related. Their identies matter not as of now."

"But who may be able to help me?" Harry pushed.

"You may already know her," Life stated, "For her name is Lady Hope."

a/n
stop whatever r u doing and read the book "Warm But Tainted Blood" bc the planned storyline is RLYY good and every small detail matters and it is a slow burn and comes together nicely ok bye
word count: 1009