chapter one

If there had been any simple truths of the world, then it was that Harry Potter did not die. It just wasn't something he did. Too cool for death, he was.

So when Harry is hit with the killing curse, for the third time in his life, and found alive, it should not have been as much of a surprise as it was. Though, this time, instead of opening his eyes and getting right on with life, Harry fell into a coma.

"It's estimated he'll be awake very shortly," Madame Pompfrey said, "A week, maybe two."

That week without Harry was very dulled for Draco, as well as his other friends. They were distraught, wound tight with worry, and unable to focus. Even more so once "Hermione's" body desolved into some stranger, who was later identified to be one Jackson Smith.

Hermione was missing for three and half days until they found her body.

She was curled up in a hidden compartment off of the Headmaster's office. She had been dead for some time when they found her.

Ron had dropped out of school shortly after. For mourning, he said, but once Harry awoke he'd exchange letters with him.

It also made a whole new wave of mourning pulse throughout the school, as well as another wave of gossip. The entire story of Jackson being fake-Hermione and cursing Harry had been the talk of the school.

At time, Draco wanted nothing more than to hex their mouths off. But he restrained himself. He had better things to do. During the week that Harry was in a coma, Draco did a lot of reading and researching.

He first tried to read the book that Jackson had stowed on the Hogwarts student library shelf, but found it a dead end; it was incrypted. Coded. Draco considered that it may be parseltongue, stowing it away in his trunk to show to Harry later.

He also took to finally investigating the student attendece records from Jackson's time, and found something out of the ordinary. Formerly Jackson Smith and now Tom Riddle, eh? How queer. He'd have to ask Harry about it.

And speaking of queer and Harry, Draco had come to awfully miss the boy. He'd grown so accustomed to him, the throne in his side that left him with an empty feeling once removed.

Pansy and Blaise had tried to cheer him up. Empathise on try, because they absolutely did not help.

"Slytherins aren't always the best with emotions," Blaise had said. "And even so, its difficult to understand why you'd be so hung up over Harry Potter, of all people."

Pansy shared the sentiment.

Ultimately useless as they were, it was nice to have some sort of friend by his side. Harry's friends (the few that remained, Draco thought darkly) were not much of a comfort to him, nor him to them. That was nice, too, because it was normal. Draco longed for Harry's return, so everything could just be back to normal.

(How foolish he ever was to expect that anything to do with Harry Potter would ever be normal.)

Draco had, when searching Harry's pockets (where he got the student file from) on the order from Madame Pompfrey that his personal items were to be set aside, come across the three pieces of parchment Harry had showed them. Three memories, stowed away, between Harry and Dumbledore.

Draco didn't want to veiw them at first, he didn't exactly plan to, but as the days without Harry increased, as did his curiosity.

The first memory was titled "RELATIVES," and Draco read the spell off the parchment to get the pensive to appear. He expected a discussion about Harry's parents, Lily and James, but was unpleasantly surprised to find himself watching as Harry and Dumbledore discussed Harry's other relatives.