ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟙𝟡

Start from the beginning

──── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────

Mamoru woke up first.

His circadian rhythm pried his eyes open to tell him it was time for a run. Mamoru quietly slipped on a pair of black track pants, a T-shirt, and a track jacket. He saw his Teiko jacket in the closet and stared at the blue trimming for a moment.

He shook his head. No time to reminisce, he chided himself. Mamoru grabbed his phone, earbuds, and a spare key.

Claire always knew he went for a run in the morning so there was no worries about her worrying.

The morning air was crisp and chilly. His breath crystallized in the air and he watched it dissipate as he stretched.

Let's sing a song full of hope, full of pain

Why don't you sing along my friend, for it's our last refrain

Forever young, ever strong, ever brave

Memories like this never end, no, they don't fade away

Certain memories didn't fade away, he agreed silently as he stood up from the concrete He set off on a light jog, minding his surroundings. Some were painful to remember and he wished they faded away.

It didn't work like that.

So when I'm gone, oh when I'm gone

I'll be right there, close to the sun

Keep holdin' on, keep holdin' on

And I'll be right there, close to the sun

Mamoru felt like he was on the end of the thread, somewhere close to falling into the dark abyss he wondered was peaceful.

If he didn't have Maiko, he would rather be somewhere unspeakable, far away from the cruel world. The world had many good things, but there were many bad things as well. Things that people wanted to ignore in favor of focusing on the good.

But the bad existed. It was very much real.

The song changed into something a little faster and he picked up the pace. The lyrics didn't register in his head, but he liked the beat. He ran a little faster, feeling the cold air sting his face.

Nine songs later, he was panting along the sidewalk and the sun was almost fully above the horizon. He took in a deep breath and raised his arms so his hands were behind his head to give his chest more leeway to breathe.

Tokyo was beginning to wake up. The sound of people and cars were beginning to invade the tranquil morning.

He watched a blue car drive past him and he sighed tiredly.

Time to head back.

──── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────

Alessandro and Claire were having tea at the kitchen table.

"They're good kids," he commented, breaking the silence. "I can tell already."

"They are good kids," Claire repeated fondly. "The best."

The Italian man was quiet for another heavy second. "Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked cautiously. Alessandro could see it in her eyes just how much she loved the twins.

"It's for the best," Claire argued lightly. "I can't physically take care of them."

"You didn't want somebody to-" He stopped and mentally searched for the word in Japanese. When he couldn't find it, he said it in English, "babysit them?"

Claire hesitated and set down her steaming cup of green tea. Knowing he was speaking Japanese for her sake, she converted to English as well, "I'm not comfortable with someone I'm not familiar with handling my kids."

My kids.

"I understand," Alessandro sighed, smiling warmly. "Whenever you want, you are welcome to our home no matter when."

"Tadaima." Mamoru trotted through the house in the slippers he switched out with his track shoes.

"Okaeri," Claire smiled, raising her cup slightly. "Could you go wake up Maiko too?"

He nodded and made his way towards her room.

Alessandro and Claire exchanged a glance. "I've never seen a boy so obedient before," he murmured. "I remember as a child, I was an unruly thing."

Claire almost snorted tea up her nose. "Ayano tells me you're still unruly. What are you talking about?"

Alessandro squawked indignantly. "I am not unruly. I am a mature, responsible, role-mo-" She started to laugh and set her cup down to avoid spilling. "Hey, stop lau...laughing at...me."

He had to stop talking because they were both laughing too hard.

Mamoru came back with a sleepy Maiko in tow, looking at the two with concealed disbelief. What on Earth were they laughing about so hard?

𝄥𝄞────────────── 𝄇

Just as a heads-up, if you don't like this book, DON'T READ IT.  I can see what library you choose to put this book in and I've seen some less than tasteful library titles.  

You are not obligated to read this nor am I trying to force it on you.  Keep in mind that other authors can see it too.  I know a couple people who were complaining about this when their book was put into "trash" or "garbage".  

You have a right to name your library whatever you want, but please keep in mind there is a real person behind the screen who can see that.  Thanks for listening to me ramble.  

On a more positive note, thanks for reading and voting!

𝄥𝄞────────────── 𝄇