Walking a very thin line

Start from the beginning

Now, I'm getting mad.

"Well, I ungrounded myself because I didn't deserve to be punished for helping my sisters."

"You were grounded for failing to tell me Carrie and Lisa were coming to your school, not for helping them. I made that very clear to you."

"Pa-tay-toe, pa-ta-toe."

"And what do you mean, you ungrounded yourself? Where do you get off defying my directives?"

Now, I'm pissed.

"That punishment was bogus and you know it. I'm eighteen years old and not even living under your roof right now so it's stupid to ground me to my room like some little kid."

"Lose the attitude, little girl, you're in enough trouble already."

He's purposely trying to push my buttons now.

"Whatever."

"You'd best watch the tone you take with me, young lady."

"Oh my god, you sound more and more like Dr. Curtis everyday."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

Now, I don't give a damn.

"Take it any way you want." I heard Mike's angry exhale in response. Thank God he's two hundred miles away.

"You know, Julie, instead of mouthing off, you should be thanking me right now for allowing you to remain on campus this weekend. If you didn't have to work on that group project, you'd be here answering to my belt right now."

"Yeah, well I do have that group project so your point is moot."

"You are walking a very thin line, young lady. I wouldn't be so smug if I were you because next weekend, you will be taking the bus home and you will be facing my discipline when you arrive. Am I clear?"

"I'm gonna politely decline your incredibly non-compelling invitation, doctor, and remain on campus next weekend but thanks for thinking about me." My less than respectful reply was met with angry silence on the other end.

"Julie, I want you to call me tonight at 8:25pm."

"8:25pm? Why?"

"Because that's about the time I'll be pulling into your dorm parking lot with my belt in hand to put you in your place. I'm on my way."

I tried voicing my protest, "Mike, no. Please, I'm sorry," but he had already ended the call so he didn't hear me.

Shit, shit, shit! What have I done? I'm such a dumbass for thinking I could get away with, not only disobeying him, but running my mouth off as well. Fuck! What do I do now? I could try hiding somewhere on campus but knowing my first guardian, he'd no doubt wait me out. I could have Shannon give me a ride to the bus station and head home but that would really just be delaying the inevitable, plus I'd run the risk of answering to Shane and possibly even Dr. Curtis as well, before Mike would return even more pissed off and whip my ass.

At 8:12pm Mike texted me a picture of his car in the parking lot with the dreaded spanking belt coiled precariously atop the hood. The text read Get your ass down here now. We're waiting.

I took a few deep breaths as I stood wide-eyed staring at his text, too afraid to move and in absolutely no hurry to face my extremely pissed off guardian. I swallowed hard, attempting to push my wildly beating heart, which was lodged in my throat, back into my chest cavity where it belonged. Gulping, I held my phone out to show Shannon the text.

"I honestly didn't think he'd come here. I am so fucked."

Mike texted me again NOW!

Reluctantly, I made my way down to the parking lot. As soon as I locked eyes with him, I instantly regretted everything I had said and done that led to this moment. Mike was beyond furious. I'm guessing he passed livid about a hundred miles ago.

"Do you have any idea how angry I am with you right now?" he hissed, grabbing that god awful spanking belt off the hood and clutching it tightly in his hand.

I tried to pull my focus back to my guardian but I just couldn't take my eyes off that wretched belt.

"You have some nerve deliberately defying one of my directives and you must have a death wish to speak to me the way you did earlier on the phone. I'm about to make it crystal clear to you that I absolutely will not tolerate that level of insolence from anyone and certainly not from my own daughter. Am I clear?"

Unable to find my voice, I kept my head down and nodded. Mike scares the shit out of me when he's so mad he's actually calm. It's truly frightening.

"Verbal answer, Julie Elizabeth," he commanded, his voice eerily devoid of emotion.

"Yes sir," I spoke my timid reply.

"Not nearly so brazen now that we're in the same zip code and AT&T is no longer mediating, are you, little girl?" Mike narrowed his eyes as he closed the gap between us, standing so close I could smell the scent of fabric softener on his clothes.

Afraid to respond, I stood silently awaiting further instruction.