ninety-seven

"and that was Matilde's last single Boyfriend!" nick swivels his chair to face her. "which, funny enough is not making it to your album!"

she nods, dragging her chair a bit forward, forearms resting on the table. "it didn't make the cut! when time came for me to decide the final line-up, it just didn't make sense anymore. who knows, maybe for the deluxe version, if i make one."

she trusted nick not to let his listeners in on the reason why it didn't fit anymore. it had taken a while for her to feel comfortable letting one of her longest friends in, always keeping in mind that nick could look at her differently now. (he hadn't. it seemed his resentment was only ever aimed at louis)

"this album has been a long time in the making. i remember you mentioning it close to two years ago." It was true; she'd even dare say it'd been longer than two years. "yeah, I'd even say longer. But as we all know, my life has, well." She stops, for a minute, attempting to find the correct words to say, knowing all the people listening would automatically create enough noise that the topic wouldn't die down.

"my life has been a mess, let's put it that way. and many songs I'd once written no longer made sense. i didn't see them as a piece of the puzzle that was rare. I even removed the title track! the song that gave name to the album is the prime example of how my story has changed. Rare was once the word i gave to myself, but that now fits something completely different."

her friend is urging her to carry on, the give him the scope that would make this interview be listened to time and time again. "well, I know from a good source that this album has some last-minute songs added. is that true, Tills?" her laugh is loud and boisterous. she knows for a fact that said source is harry. most of the new songs had been recorded in his own studio so it'd be preposterous for anyone else to be talking of it.

"it's true. one the songs was literally vetted at the last moment, right before the information was released and the cd's and vinyl's produced. that's how last minute it was. i'd be texting taylor at 3am, asking her for her opinion on a rhyme and some random harmony!" everyone on the studio laughs, yet she sobers up quickly. she speeds through her last sentence, already someone flashing at nick that it was time to play some more music before returning to the interview. "i'm a very lucky woman. i have so many friends who are always willing and ready to help me. this one is for them."

nick's smile is fond, swiftly letting their listeners know that they'd be listening to her song and they'd be back soon. behind the studio's glass, her manager throws her a thumbs up and she sombrely nods. she'd done good. nick chucks a paper ball at her, cutting through the tension with a laugh. 

☁️☁️☁️☁️

matildehq: Matilde today, outside the BBC Radio 1 after her interview with Nick Grimshaw

matildehq: Matilde today, outside the BBC Radio 1 after her interview with Nick Grimshaw. She is wearing Wardrobe.nyc, Louis Vitton and JW Anderson. 

LIKES: 1.87K COMMENTS: 41

☁️☁️☁️☁️

a.n.: hey lovelies, how have your holidays been? happy new year! here's a new chapter for you. i can't say for sure yet, but i think we might only have around 10 chapters ahead of us, so hopefully, you enjoy this chapter. xx