🏐 THIRTY NINE 🏐

Yusei spent the rest of the week in bed, her parents making sure she was taking care of herself and that she wouldn't make her injury worse because, knowing her, she didn't like sitting still

At the end of the week, however, Yusei managed to convince her parents to let her go out for a jog. I literally feel so fat, she had complained.

Standing outside her house, Yusei made sure to stretch herself out, starting with her legs and going up to her arms. "You gonna keep staring?" She questioned, holding her elbow above her head.

"Tch," The boy on the other side of the bushes scoffed, his eyes moving away from her. The female snickered before deeming herself ready to go. Walking over to the male, she placed her hands in her shorts' pockets.

"Kentaro-kun, was it?" She side eyed him, and he just glared at her as he crossed his arms.

"What's it to you, huh?" He demanded. Suddenly, her eyes sharpened. They hadn't interacted enough the first time they had met for him to get a read on her, but now that they were talking one on one, he could feel the authority oozing off her. And that look put him even more on edge.

"I don't tolerate brats, so either get with the program or I might have to do something only one of us is gonna enjoy, and that won't be you." She warned, a devious smirk making it's appearance.

"You think you can tame me?" Kyoutani's eyes narrowed, his forehead knitting together as angry veins pulsed. "Who the fuck do you think-"

"Option two it is," Yusei sighed, her hands going behind her head. The word danger was flashing in front of the angry male's eyes as she said this, honestly making him rethink his life choices. "Listen fucko, I don't have time nor the desire to kick your ass so I'm just gonna say this:" The female's eyes gave him shivers along with her next words, "Get in my way, we'll have a problem. If we have a problem, I will have you six feet under before you can blink, understand?"

"..." Kyoutani's gaze didn't meet her eyes, he was honestly too scared. Looking a dog in the eye was a challenge and he knew if he dared look her in the eye that second, he'd crumble on the spot. "Fine."

"Great," Yusei grinned, giving the poor male whiplash from her personality changes. "See ya later, Kentaro-kun~" She winked, then started her jog. He watched her go, and waited until she was out of sight before letting his tense muscles relax.

I've never met anyone with that much of a murderous vibe, Kyoutani thought to himself as he made his way back inside his house. I'll have to watch myself around him.

Meanwhile, Yusei's thoughts were filled with the angry blonde male as she jogged. He seemed like someone who was a good judge of character from his reactions to me, she mused. Might end up being useful if he's loyal.

Kentaro's his first name, same as that jackass, Yusei's mind formed an image of her former captain from her first year. They were nothing alike. If they were, we'd have a major problem on our hands.

The demon king was so lost in thought, as soon as she came out of her head, she realized she was lost. Luckily it didn't stay that way for long, as she had been smart enough to bring her phone. Jogging back to her house, she found that Kyoutani had disappeared, probably back inside his own house.

Stepping up to her porch, the female took her shoes off before opening the door and making her way inside. "Welcome back, Yusei!" Her mother greeted, sitting on the couch in the living room. "Feeling alright? Need any pain meds?"

"Nah, I don't feel any pain right now," She replied, plopping down next to her with a loud groan. "That was a nice run."

"How far did you go? You were gone for a decent amount of time," Kana Udai pointed out, to which Yusei hummed.

"Just a mile, well technically two since it was there and back," She told her. "But man, I'm really out of shape."

"You've been in bed for a week, stop that," Kana flicked her daughter's forehead, causing her to pout. "That is not enough time to get out of shape, sweetie."

"Meanie."

"Only to you," Her mother winked, then picked up the remote and handed it to her. "Pick something to watch, I need to start lunch."

"Sure thing," Yusei sighed, starting to flick through the selections as her mother stood up and made her way into the kitchen.

~•~

"Kentaro, there someone at the door for you!" His mother called. Growling in frustration, the angry boy stalked from his enclosure towards the front door. Standing there was Yusei Udai, looking as relaxed as ever. His guard immediately went up.

"What do you want?"

"Wow, quite hostile," Yusei raised an eyebrow, but didn't seem phased since her lips quirked up. "Wanna go on a run with me?"

"Why would I do that?" Kyoutani demanded lowly, just so that his mother wouldn't hear the conversation from the other room. Yusei smirked, lowering her voice.

"Because you're scared of me and want to be in my good graces." Kyoutani's eyes widened a fraction, knowing she was right but also not wanting to admit it. "What's there to lose?"

"Tch, fine," He scowled, grabbing his shoes and walking out the door, slamming it behind him.

"Quite the racket," Yusei snickered. "Before we go, I have a question."

"What?" He snarled, pulling on his shoes.

"You play volleyball?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Then you should know who I am," She said. Kyoutani scoffed as he turned his head to her, his expression softer than usual. Oh, now I'm excited to see what he has to say, Yusei mused as she placed her hands behind her head.

"Who doesn't know the infamous Demon King?"

"Good then," She nodded appreciatively.

"Now I have a question for you," Kyoutani said, then quickly lost confidence at the look thrown at him. "If you'll allow it."

"Ha! Go for it," Yusei hadn't even been trying to intimidate him that time.

"Why are you in Miyagi?"

"Well, my parents got new jobs here so low and behold I came along," She answered, "by the way, you wouldn't happen to go to Aoba Johsai, would you?"

"... I do," Kyoutani muttered, "I just haven't been to practice there, or any of the games since my first year."

"I see," Yusei smirked, turning her body to face him fully. He tensed, having a feeling her next words would be detrimental. "When school starts up again, you're coming to practice with me. And we are gonna kick serious ass," She smirked, putting her hand out in front of him. "Unless you aren't up for it, of course."

"You'll eat those words, Udai," He slapped her hand, making her grin in anticipation.

"I look forward to it, Kentaro-kun. Now let's get going, I'm restless!"

(And thus began the partnership between Yusei and Kyoutani, which will get better when-

Oops, no spoilers 😋)