15 ~ Love Letters

Julie's POV

"I brought you dinner jules!" Carlos says as he enters the studio. I sit up on Luke's couch and take the plate of grilled chicken and broccoli from him.

"Thanks Carlos" I say with a smile. I place the plate on the table in front of me. Just as it touches the surface, I'm hit with a bad jolt. I double over in pain. After a few seconds I look up at Carlos. He looks really scared and confused. "Julie? Are you alright? What was that?" 

"I- uhh well-" I can't think of anything to say, I really don't want to burden someone else with all of this. But I don't have a choice. I have to tell him the truth. "It's a curse" I look at the floor. The room is silent for a minute before Carlos speaks up.

"Julie, I know you're used to all this ghost stuff by now, but YOU CANT JUST SAY YOU'RE CURSED AND THEN NOT EXPLAIN YOURSELF" he yells. 

"Shh! Keep it down! If dad finds out, we'll both be in HUGE trouble!" I whisper shout.

"Then explain yourself!" He whisper shouts back. I sigh.

"Caleb. I told you how he wants the guys in his house band, but I didn't tell you how far he's willing to go. He put a curse on me." I say. I pull up my sleeve to show him the stamp. I let's out a small gasp. "I get those jolt things until-" I can't finish the sentence. How are you supposed to tell your little brother that you're dying? He seems to understand what I mean.

"But there has to be a way to fix this!" He says, tears gathering in his eyes. 

"Don't worry" I say, I pull him close to me and he rests his chin on my shoulder as we hug. "The guys are working on a plan and everything's going to be fine" I know everything's not going to be alright, but he can't know that. 

"This is the real reason why you're staying out here?" He asks. I nod my head. 

"But I'm okay, and I'll be okay" I say. "I'm only out here so that dad doesn't find out" 

"Ok." He says "well I better get inside, I have a bunch of homework." He gives me one last hug "Don't die" he pulls away and goes back to the house. 

I look down at the plate of food. I don't have any appetite. I'm just so worried about everything. Are the guys going to be okay? Is the plan working? Has Caleb figured it out? Am I going to be okay? No. That shouldn't be on my mind. My main priority is to do whatever I can to help the guys, if that's even possible. 

I pull out my laptop and go down some deep internet holes, desperately trying to find information about Caleb and his family. Maybe if I find his daughter, I can go to her first and let her know everything going on. Would she even believe me? My head hurts from everything that's happened today. After about two hours of deep dives, I slam my laptop shut in frustration. 

At times like this, where I'm so stressed and worried, there's only one thing that makes me feel better, music. I sit down at the piano bench and place my fingers on the keys. I play through all the songs I've ever wrote, all the songs Luke wrote with me, and then some. It really does help me feel better. I feel a lot less pain while playing. 

After playing through many songs, i finish and lift my hands from the piano. Right as my fingers leave the keys, I'm hit with a jolt and I realize something. I was playing for well over 20 minutes. Before then, the jolts were coming about every three minutes. I don't get jolts while I play music? It kinda makes sense. The guys were getting their jolts very frequently, but when we played the Orpheum, they didn't get a single jolt the whole time. I guess there really is something magical about my music. It can make ghosts visible to lifers and temporarily break curses.