Chapter 59.1/59.2 Combined ✓

Start from the beginning

"Yes, sweetheart, I'm sorry. You died. That's why you are here right now. Come on, my daughter. Come sit with me for a moment." The Goddess places her cool hand on my shoulder and gestures for me to sit down on the grass. I kneel and take another deep breath; I need to feel grounded.

"Why did I have to die? I was finally happy. And why do you want me to call you "mom"? I question softly, while avoiding looking her in the eyes.

"I think it's time that you finally knew the truth. I couldn't tell you the past few times I have seen you, it wasn't the right moment in time. I had to wait for you to be ready." She says softly.

I furrow my brows and tilt my head to look at her more closely. A sadness fills her eyes and I have the sudden urge to hug her. I don't want to offend her, so I just nod and ask her to continue.

"Okay. Let's start from the very beginning. Carter, you are born of three extraordinary planetary phenomena. The man you called your father was born during the eclipse of the moon, and your birth mother was born during the eclipse of the sun." She explains. "While you, my daughter, were born during the highest point of the blood moon."

My eyes widen at what she's said, and a small gasp left my lips. "Daughter of the Moon and Sun." I whisper and the Goddess giggles and nods her head.

"Yes, daughter. Serena knew what she was talking about. It wasn't a coincidence that both your parents were born of such incredible moments and ended up together, it was fate. Your parents were destined to be together."

"But... why?"

"The prophecy foretold us of your coming for centuries."

"But I don't understand. My parents were born of these moments, so why am I to call you mom?"

The Goddess smiles warmly at me and reaches out to hold my hand. The gesture is so small but the warmth that fills me is immediate.

"Because you are my daughter. It is my blood that flows through your veins. I was so young and in love. The day I found out I was pregnant with you; I was so happy. Over the moon, if you will." She smiles and winks at me. "It wasn't until later that day that the Goddess Venus came to me." Her eyes glaze over in a far away look.

"She let me know that you were going to be the One we had all been waiting for. Being of the prophecy, I knew that your life was in danger. I knew I needed to protect you. I made sure your parents were mortal, that you would be brought up with a normal lifestyle. I held you in my womb for over twenty five earth years before it was time to pass you to your birth parents."

Twenty five years? How is that even possible? The Goddess chuckles as if she heard my train of thought.

"Yes, daughter. To a human, twenty five years is an impossibly long time to remain pregnant but to a Goddess, especially in our realm, it is but the mere blink of an eye. I had to wait for your parents to be born and find each other before the prophecy could begin. It was such a gloomy day when I came down from my realm to Earth and transferred you from the safety of my womb to your birth mothers. You must know it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my immortal life.

"I just... I still don't understand. I'm sorry. Why didn't you raise me? Would I still be the One if I weren't born from my parents?"

"The prophecy is old, my girl. The moment I found out I was pregnant with you; I knew I had to give you to your parents. And yes, you had to be born from your birth parents, it was the only way for the prophecy to start. You were born from humans and raised as a human; you were kept safe." She says softly, sadness filling her voice.

She reaches out her hand and lightly touches the crescent moon birthmark behind my ear. "You were born with the mark of the moon. The mark of my daughter. I am so proud of you, Carter." Her eyes glisten as her words hit me hard.