twenty-nine.

Depuis le début

"What does Ashton have to do with any of this?" I ask incredulously.

"He knew," Major Hood says simply.

This all makes sense to me as I'm sure Lieutenant Hemmings will put Ashton through hell once he finds out that he kept this from him. Obviously, Ashton knows that Declan and I are related and that's easy for any of us to put together. I don't doubt that he's just as screwed as myself.

"Is he really that angry?" I ask half-shocked.

I mean, I do understand why he's upset but I can't imagine actually being belistic. I understand we kept something big from him but how were we supposed to know how harmful it is?

Major Hood just lets out a laugh and nods his head, "You'll never see him angrier than you'll see him when he gets back. This is a big fucking deal."

"Why?" I ask, so frustrated considering no one has told me what the big deal is yet. What's the relationship between Declan and Lieutenant Hemmings? Why won't anyone give me the slightest bit of a hint?

"He's going to tell you, Lila. He can't hide it anymore. Especially now that he knows that you're Declan's sister."

What did Declan leave behind? What did he do to make speaking of him such a sensitive subject? And why won't Lieutenant Hemmings want to kick me out now that he knows? None of this makes sense.

Any possible scenario I could think of doesn't add up due to all the factors that play a role in this. I don't know how I can put any of these pieces together. I just hope Lieutenant Hemmings and Ashton get back here quickly.

I run a hand through my hair nervously and give Michael a look as if blaming him for this. I know that I'm going to get the answers I want and I can thank him for that but I feel like things are going to get a whole lot worse around here.

And I fear what that means for me.

"Relax Lila, nothing's going to happen to you," Major Hood says to me as he must notice how nervous I am.

I'm not sure if I believe him.

This is Lieutenant Hemmings we're talking about. He'll jump on any chance to make my life a living hell and I feel like this is going to give him that perfect opportunity. He's never going to let me live this down as I finally managed to prove myself.

Now I've backtracked completely and have given him a reason to absolutely despise me further. I don't know what I can even do to get him on my side at this point as I've definitely crossed the line now. There's no way I'll be able to heal this wound.

It isn't long before Lieutenant Hemmings and Ashton are storming in. I don't miss the look of alarm Ashton has in his eyes as he scans the room, seeming to take in the atmosphere with little answers. The second he spots me, he only seems more alarmed and I can imagine Lieutenant Hemmings didn't tell him what this was about.

I'm sure he just grabbed him the second he saw him and dragged him in here.

"Tell me it isn't fucking true, Ashton," Lieutenant Hemmings seethes at him his body towering over Ashton's as pure anger is written in his features.

I've seen Lieutenant Hemmings angry but Major Hood is right, I've never seen him like this. His face is practically red as one fist is clenched by his side and he looks as if he could kill  Ashton Irwin.

"What the fuck are you-"

"You know damn well what I'm talking about," he yells, scaring me half to death. "Tell me it isn't true and that you didn't keep the fact that Lila James is the sister of Declan James this whole entire fucking time."