Chapter One

11: 04 AM

October 25, 2012

Juliette Moore

            “If there’s one thing you’ve learned about me, then it should be I don’t do blind dates,” I said, looking at my sister as she rolled her eyes, wiping a thin layer of flour from her hands onto her apron. Marissa gave the tray of unbaked cupcakes a final look and then she picked it up, carrying it over to the ovens.

            “I don’t know why you’re being so melodramatic,” she replied, giving me a look that signaled me to open up the upper oven. “It’s honestly not a big deal,” she pointed out, slipping the red velvet batter in with a swift motion, “Theo’s a nice guy, and I’ve been trying to get you at his parties for years, but you’re always busy when I invite.” I crossed my arms and sighed as she looked at me. “I’m only helping you, honestly little sister, some things are out of your hands,” she told me and I felt my eyebrows scrunch together in confusion.

            “Who I date is out of my hand?” I asked and she looked at the ceiling as if the answer were written somewhere up there.

            “It seems to have come to the point where that statement is very true,” she replied smugly, darting around a tray of icings that had been messily placed on the side of a table. “I mean honestly Jules, I was this close,” she blurted, circling her hand so a small circle remained, “this close to making you an online dating profile.”

            “Aren’t those for middle aged people who can’t find love?” I asked and she shrugged.

            “You fit half of the profile,” she retorted, undoing the back of her apron, and pointing to the front of the shop. “Let’s work the cashier, I’m done with baking for now,” she muttered, and I followed her as she made her way through the door separating the bakery into two areas.

            “It’s not that I’m not open to dating … I just don’t want to have a blind date,” I replied, my lips in a thin line as I noticed the entire storefront was empty with the exception of a co-worker named Sophie.

            “You told her about Theo and her tonight?” she asked with a laugh, dropping her magazine down on the table next to her, looking up at me. Marissa nodded, and shook her head.

            “She’s being difficult,” she muttered as her head shook.

            “I don’t want to be stuffed into the trunk of a car and killed … skinned and made into a bodysuit or something terrible like that,” I muttered, my eyes squeezing shut for a moment as that terrible movie flashed in my mind. “But really … I don’t know Theo other than his name … and that Marissa thinks we’d look cute together,” I reasoned, my blue eyes popping open just in time to see my sister rolling her eyes at me.

            “If it makes you feel better I can show you his Facebook,” she said, pulling her phone out from her icing smeared jeans, “You’ll feel as if you know him on the date then … and it won’t be quite as blind.” I kept my lips in their thinly pursed style as she handed me the phone on a profile of a boy with messily curled black hair.

            “Oh he’s really cute,” I muttered, almost in a whine.

            “And that’s bad how?” Izzy asked as she made her way over she could get a glimpse of him.

            “Well … it is just is,” I muttered, holding the phone out for Marissa to retrieve. The second the phone hit her pocket a slight ring ran through the store, and a customer appeared in the doorway, her sunglasses perched on top of her head and a cross body purse slung across her shoulder.